Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Autronic vs. AEM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autronic vs. AEM

I'm currently in the market for a standalone, my mods are as follows, ams gt35rl turbo kit, ams 680cc injectors, ams fuel rail, hks 272 intake and exhaust cams, walbro 255lph fuel pump, arp head studs, and arp rod bolts. That is about all as far as the motor goes. I have all of the supporting mods for the rest of the drivetrain.

I'm currently running the utec, and i've run into a few limitations that have made me look into standalones, my tuning experience is substantial with the utec, but I have very little tuning knowledge with other units.

I'm debating between the autronic and the AEM ems, I don't like that the autronic doesn't have a knock sensor, and that it is not interfaceable with other wide band units.

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with both units, and if so what is your preferance, and why,
please only respond if you have used both units,
thanks,
Rob
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

A fully equipped Autronic is far more expensive.

http://www.tatomotorsports.com/autronics_price.asp
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Autronic ECU for US Spec EVO8--1800
L1H1 UEGO--325
Autronic Boost Valve Small--150
Bosch LSM-11--255

Overall, seems far more capable--but definitely a larger investment.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either system will work great if you know how to tune with them. I had similar mods except for the turbo. I'm putting my car back to stock because I don't know how to tune the AEM EMS. The shop that did the mods was Bust Solutions (they've since gone under) and they did not know what they were doing and made a disaster out of my car.
Anyway, I have the AEM EMS with options and several maps that might be useful. I also have an AEM UEGO wide band O2 sensor with display and an HKS RS intake that I no longer need. If you want to go the AEM route, I'll make you a great deal on the EMS and UEGO.
A word of warning: if you are not a tuner or cannot tune these stand alone systems, you better have a good tuner who'll do it for you or you are sunk. At any rate do not allow George (the bust solutions owner) anywhere near your car under any circunstances

Originally Posted by liberty2000rs
I'm currently in the market for a standalone, my mods are as follows, ams gt35rl turbo kit, ams 680cc injectors, ams fuel rail, hks 272 intake and exhaust cams, walbro 255lph fuel pump, arp head studs, and arp rod bolts. That is about all as far as the motor goes. I have all of the supporting mods for the rest of the drivetrain.

I'm currently running the utec, and i've run into a few limitations that have made me look into standalones, my tuning experience is substantial with the utec, but I have very little tuning knowledge with other units.

I'm debating between the autronic and the AEM ems, I don't like that the autronic doesn't have a knock sensor, and that it is not interfaceable with other wide band units.

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with both units, and if so what is your preferance, and why,
please only respond if you have used both units,
thanks,
Rob
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Autronic...

It's what I run...no probs! Ohh yeah it's got autotune.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:18 PM

has anyone thought about Motec? I know the Norris Designs Evo 7 uses Motec with launch control.

http://www.norris-designs.co.uk/evo7_spec.htm
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Sure...if you have that type of money laying around...$$$
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4DR4WD
has anyone thought about Motec? I know the Norris Designs Evo 7 uses Motec with launch control.

http://www.norris-designs.co.uk/evo7_spec.htm
theres no motec for evo 8
Old Aug 18, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EV0-VIII
theres no motec for evo 8
Most motec's aren't made for specific vehicles for plug and play use, it's a universal ems.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by kcevo
Most motec's aren't made for specific vehicles for plug and play use, it's a universal ems.
true but still it wont fit the evo 8

it will fit but it wont work properly
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:30 AM
fre
Evolved Member

I will tell you how my AEM experience goes after this weekend. Autotronics is probably a fine system. I am sure they both are very capable. My advice would be to get very smart on your system though, because you want to eventually be able to tune it yourself. If that is not the case then stick with piggybacks or flashes.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

true but still it wont fit the evo 8

it will fit but it wont work properly
But which motec are you talking about; M4, M48, M400, M600, M800, or M880?

And what is the issue with it not working properly?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by kcevo
But which motec are you talking about; M4, M48, M400, M600, M800, or M880?

And what is the issue with it not working properly?
sorry not to be clear im talking about the M800 because i rang motec and asked for the wiring diagram and they said that there isnt yet for the US spec EVO 8.

and here i got a PM from Motec "There currently is not a plug and play M800 for the US spec EVO...at this time...."

Thank you,

Fahad
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:22 PM
Former Sponsor

I tune all 4 AEM, Motec, Autronic, Haltech. THe AEM is like itself, the motec and autronic are very similar in the way they are setup. The motec is a great unit from the standpoint that the quality of the electronics is 2nd to none. AEM lacks quality injector drivers, but for most that won't make a difference and they do sell the driver box.
They all have pros and cons, and you can go fast with all of them.
The AEM has the advantage of perhaps the most powerfull software schema, and some nifty features. They are all capable of performance, and good daily driveability.

Sean
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:24 PM
Former Sponsor

sorry not to be clear im talking about the M800 because i rang motec and asked for the wiring diagram and they said that there isnt yet for the US spec EVO 8.

and here i got a PM from Motec "There currently is not a plug and play M800 for the US spec EVO...at this time...."

Thank you,

Fahad

Motec will make you one right now if you call AUstralia, they are expensive. Its a board solution like the autronic so as to qualify for GroupN use in Rally. The pinout on the non us spec evo 8 is a bit different.
If you want to spend the money you can get it.

Sean

Quick Reply: Autronic vs. AEM