Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

question for Malibu Jack, knock and timing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question for Malibu Jack, knock and timing

hello MJ
I wonder if something like this could be piggy backed on a piggyback
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/index.html
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Absolutely.. If you feel that it has some benefit.. However it appears to be a CDI setup also, which means it would integrate with the ignition system in the same way a HKS DLI-2 or AEM C2DI would be used.. If you have any way of getting one to me to test I could try to do a coil on plug setup using individual coils and driving them off the ignition drivers from the stock ECU (or UTEC)

It has some features that aren't really needed on our application, but the 2 channel system should work on our cars (assuming it drops the trigger threshold voltage below the stock ignitor transistor's switching voltage)

However at the least this thing is a CDI ignition upgrade.. at best, its good safety measure assuming the knock sensor functions appropriately and can be configured to work without picking up false positives. (Did I read somewhere it has a learning mode??)
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

OOPS! Its inductive not Capacitive.. but it shoud work real nicely with the stock coils as an igition upgrade..
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:03 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully this thing is not as expensive as HKS DLI
Old Nov 27, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOR, no matter how rich your blood , it has got to be cheaper than the ION sensing ign with knock control///$22000. No, I did not add too many zeros.

btw this is the stuff. in ten years all the high end performance cars should have it.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, I'm going to look into getting one next week if possible.. I would much rather test this stuff and not use it, than subject someone else to wasting money.
Oh and pricing seems to be around $400-$500 or so.. Not cheap, but $100 cheaper than the DLI-2 and around the same price as the AEM C2DI (the C2DI requires new coils if you want to use it on our cars so add another $250 for coils)