Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

5k rpm studder with UTEC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
If its registering knock in that RPM range, it certainly is possible since it would pull timing..

Instead of playing with the fuel, did you try removing timing to reduce the knock? If that had no effect then its likely some sort of resonance from the transmission or valvetrain.

Are they verifying that its knock using cans?

The knock threshold can be adjusted to be more or less sensitive in the low, mid, and high rpm Ranges.. I have mine configured to be more sensitive and I don't get much "Racket"

Its certainly possible to have a defective O2 sensor, but the O2 sensor is only used to control closed loop fueling, if you find you cannot make adequate adjustment for it, you may have to play with the STOCK INJECTOR SIZE parameter in OLF.. If you change ANYTHING remember to RETUNE THE CAR..

Do you find your fuel trims are wacky with the 550/740 setting? (did you already have a reflash?)

Its possible to replace the O2 sensor, but the knock sensor is basically a piezo microphone, It either will work, or it won't, its discrimination is at the control of the ECU or UTEC..

In my experience that studder at 5k was due to my ignition system not able to provide a good enough spark..

Have you tried LOWERING YOUR BOOST in the map? Telling me that it doesnt happen in stock mode, without testing lowering the boost in a tuned map isn't going to tell us alot.

Al has pointed out a few times that around 5k seems to be a "Resonance or Harmonic" area that alot of engines seem to produce noise that may be seen as detonation, or it may really be detonation and timing would need to be removed so there is less advance in that range..

My experience even with my NGK colder plugs (BPR7ES) plugs, that gapping them at greater than .030 seemed to result in misfiring or spark quench when I gapped at .025 or .026 I noticed it went away.

Also, check your coil packs.. if you have access to borrowing someone elses packs and wires, swap them on and test again.. you may have defective coils..

I doubt the UTEC is defective, though anything is possible, but more often than not, its just something overlooked, even check for boost leaks.

Check your fuel pressure too.. Though your not seeing the car run lean in any sense of the word, its worth checking.

Also, you can get a misfire if the car is running rich too, combine a rich mixture with alot of timing advance and a weak spark and it can result in it..

What are your EGT's when running these tests?
They werent using knock cans and they were taking out timing fuel and anything else that might have been the culprit, That took out so much timing over the entire rpm band that I am kind of disappointed. But hey, do whatcha gotta do I said.

By adjusting the knock threshold to be more sensitive would make my problem worse no?

I have heard that some people replaced the knock sensor and cured their problem. I thought that may have been an option.

The plugs were gapped correctly. Testing the coil packs and fuel pressure is an option.

My EGTs are no higher than 800 degress after the tune.

I think I will reflash the UTEC just to remove that possibility. I dont ever remember the UTEC doing that until recently.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dopeman_420
put your stock plugs back in if there still good or go mitsu dealer and get a new set.i had a similar issue when i went to brainstorm performance to do a power run on there dyno. a day before i went i switced to the brp7es plugs.so we ran my car but probs arose it didnt even dawn on me the ngk were the issue until i told them i was running a colder plug.the tech said those are good plugs he ran them in his dsm but the evo runs high boost[as we all know] and those plugs cant hang with that much boost.so he asked me were the original plugs were i said i threw them away he said[mistake] as i only had 2000 miles on them and had to have one of there staff go get me a new set at 100 and some change from mitsu dealer and that cured my problem.
I'll try that but the reason for going 1 step colder is to help prevent preignition. It gets super hot and humid where I live and usually is a good idea to put these plugs in.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah I would at least try different plugs, colder plugs CAN lead to a misfire, but generally under higher boost you WOULD use colder plugs since the tips don't retain as much heat and aren't a "hot spot" that can start a spontaneous combustion event.

A misfire is different than detonation, a bad misfire can result in either somewhat low, or somewhat high EGT's (Depending on if the remaining mixture combusts in the exhaust manifold)

The gap should still be around .025 or .026, if you gap at .030 or .035 and have a weak spark for any reason, it will result in a misfire too so check your plug gap.

The NGK's are not bad plugs, but don't have much of a lifespan (you should change them every 5000 miles or every oil change cuz they work good, but their cheap)
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

That is very wierd. I don't see alot of people getting this problem. If you can post your logs I am very interested in looking at them..

Ben
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah Ditto..
Old Dec 6, 2004, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I would at least try different plugs, colder plugs CAN lead to a misfire, but generally under higher boost you WOULD use colder plugs since the tips don't retain as much heat and aren't a "hot spot" that can start a spontaneous combustion event.

A misfire is different than detonation, a bad misfire can result in either somewhat low, or somewhat high EGT's (Depending on if the remaining mixture combusts in the exhaust manifold)

The gap should still be around .025 or .026, if you gap at .030 or .035 and have a weak spark for any reason, it will result in a misfire too so check your plug gap.

The NGK's are not bad plugs, but don't have much of a lifespan (you should change them every 5000 miles or every oil change cuz they work good, but their cheap)
I have tried putting in the original plugs which are fine and still have the studder. I would love to take more logs for you but I sent the ECU/UTEC together to Turbo TRix for analysis. From what I have seen. they work real close to Jermaine and Nathan and are sure they can figure it out. I really think it is the UTEC even though we have been talking about stock boost solenoid and what not on pass thru. I feel strongly about it but I am no expert. I can sit in the garage rev the motor under non boost conditions and make the car studder. Put it on pass thru and there is no studder. Its really hard not to believe that the UTEC is messed up. I will let you guys know as soon as I hear back from them. I am sending it out today overnight.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah it could be a weak spark due to how the coils are fired, or whatnot..

Did you create a map with fuel map only, removed all timing (Set to ECU) to see if it still does it?

ANyway I guess its not important since you shipped it to them to check out.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it could be a weak spark due to how the coils are fired, or whatnot..

Did you create a map with fuel map only, removed all timing (Set to ECU) to see if it still does it?

ANyway I guess its not important since you shipped it to them to check out.
That is a very good suggestion. I guess thats why they pay you the big bucks!
No they didnt reset the timing to ECU. I wish we would have thought of it however, since I was on the dyno and the clock was ticking, I let them do their thing. There were other people waiting to use it and I simply wanted to get as far as we could and be done with it. Actually, I didnt say anything to them about the studder figuring they would have tuned it out unknowingly. It appeared they ran into that problem themselves and could not fix it. But like I said, they played all around with the timing and fuel as my AFRs were already pig rich and there was no stopping the studder! If the UTEC timing is causing the studder, then I am hoping that there is some type of error in the UTEC thats causing the UTEC to trigger a spark or lack thereof.

Actually, I resent the UTEC to Jermaine since its their product and if they cant fix it then no one can.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Just an update as many of us that may have this so called "problem", in fact is no problem at all. I was actually on the dash board screen while I was revving the motor to 5K. It started flashing the (OL) next to fuel percentage. Jermaine confirmed this is where the UTEC hits Open loop with rpm in neutral. I feel silly now. But the good news is that the hesitation on the road is gone so maybe there was in fact a small issue that was removed with the new UTEC anyway.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

DOH.. I can feel that transition from closed loop to open loop on some occasions.. I thought I had posted something about that at one point but I looked in this thread and made no mention of it, and if I posted it in another thread, it was likely a response to part throttle stumbling when driving on the parkway (Raising the OLF transition point)

Oh well, at least its fixed.. What confused me was the testing method.. you never said that this didn't happen when driving, only when you free revved the motor..
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

DOH.. I can feel that transition from closed loop to open loop on some occasions.. I thought I had posted something about that at one point but I looked in this thread and made no mention of it, and if I posted it in another thread, it was likely a response to part throttle stumbling when driving on the parkway (Raising the OLF transition point)

Oh well, at least its fixed.. What confused me was the testing method.. you never said that this didn't happen when driving, only when you free revved the motor..
Jack, if you can feel the transition it's because you still need to smooth your transition point. Most of the time you can see it immediately, you’ll have a large IDC jump + or -. It's pretty simple to smooth it out.

Thanks,
Jermaine~
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Actually it did stumble on the raod at 5K and thats why I said that the new UTEC probably solved that problem for me. Either way, I know the UTEC is working like its supposed to.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Imprezd
Jack, if you can feel the transition it's because you still need to smooth your transition point. Most of the time you can see it immediately, you’ll have a large IDC jump + or -. It's pretty simple to smooth it out.

Thanks,
Jermaine~
How do you smooth out the IDC? I think I have noticed that before in many logs.

Jermaine, If you come back to this thread, would you say that Mark at TT can call you while he is tuning the car for me if there are any probs. He will be putting on their turbo kit for me in a few weeks and I want a very smooth powerband when it hits OLF. I cant imagine how harsh the feel would be with a larger turbo and everything kicks in at different points.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TampaTurbo
How do you smooth out the IDC? I think I have noticed that before in many logs.

Jermaine, If you come back to this thread, would you say that Mark at TT can call you while he is tuning the car for me if there are any probs. He will be putting on their turbo kit for me in a few weeks and I want a very smooth powerband when it hits OLF. I cant imagine how harsh the feel would be with a larger turbo and everything kicks in at different points.
Basically to smooth the idc's you need to add or subtract fuel. Mark should be able to sort your car out. The crossover to OLF at the RPM threshold point only happens if your are going above 5k but you are less than your tps threshold point.

Thanks,
Jermaine
Old Dec 10, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Imprezd
Basically to smooth the idc's you need to add or subtract fuel. Mark should be able to sort your car out. The crossover to OLF at the RPM threshold point only happens if your are going above 5k but you are less than your tps threshold point.

Thanks,
Jermaine
Awesome, Thanks

Quick Reply: 5k rpm studder with UTEC