Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

For anyone considering the AEM vs. Autronic...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Actually - by the time I was done with my Autronic experiments I had it fairly well figured out - well enough to set some track records with it. I speak from experience with both products when I say that I greatly prefer the AEM unit - IMHO it is the best choice. And - I dont sell any of them.
Now thats a better statement cause its a very specialized ecu that needs a lot of tuning knowledge.. No offence but it can rival one of the best out there and all my evo's use it.. In fact been using it for almost 9 years on my race car now without any hiccups.. Perhaps if you have a chance, take a good look at the upcoming SM4, you might be surprised what i has...
Old Feb 9, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

I just recently installed autronic. went from stock Ecu to driving around on autronic in literally 30 mins. the system is easy to use and the only tuneing i have done prior to this is V-AFC's from my honda days.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

what u guys think about the 500r cdi from autronic?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

We have now 2 local guys running the autronic and it seems like a great system! One of them is running 592hp! I'll definetly be looking into one soon.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

any thoughts on the 500rcdi from autronic?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 03:06 AM
Account Disabled

Its a pretty nice ignition setup but overkill imo for most people's uses especially on a vehicle with a pretty decent ignition setup right out of the box.
Old May 23, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

I actually got to see one of the older smc units in action two nights ago, and it seems very simple to use. I'm switching to the new sm4 autronic box, in about 6 weeks. Can't wait.
Old May 23, 2005, 06:10 AM
Account Disabled

I'm not even bothering with the sm4 box.. there really isn't in it that you need (unless you are scared and need "knock control")
Old May 23, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MayhemSi
I'm not even bothering with the sm4 box.. there really isn't in it that you need (unless you are scared and need "knock control")
thats something i would like to have just as a safety feature. but any good tuner doesnt need it. also my tune isnt very agressive so its really not needed.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, i've had an autronic for about 3 months now, and it's definely a good emanage system. anyway, as most of you know it doesn't come with a KNOCK SENSOR. so i was wondering what you guys were doing about knock detection. I would greatly appreciate some suggestions as to what i should get to detect knock.

thanks
Old Jul 9, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

we do nothing about it. just get a good wideband. I suggest PLX. dont go over 20 deg. timeing at WOT (I run 18), 20 psi on pumpgas, and keep the AFR in the 11's and you wont have a problem.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TampaTSi
are there any systems out there for evos that use the stock ecu/sensors (and hence the stock fuel and timing maps) but that allow users to modify the WOT fuel/timing curves?
YES!
It's called ECUplus (or ECU+)
The version 2 is coming out at the end of July. You should check out the features. Knock Sensors, Analog inputs, O2 sim, ignition timing, fueling, Idling Stablizer, the works.
Dan at MachV is going to have the first 4 units but I think they may be spoken for.
I got Dynoflash because of the neccessity and Al made me tons of power (Thanks AL. But I still want to enventually tune the car myself and this ECU+ unit is hard to match with any other system avail on the market.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KFive
We have now 2 local guys running the autronic and it seems like a great system! One of them is running 592hp! I'll definetly be looking into one soon.
What mods does he have on his car to get almost 600 hp?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, i've had an autronic for about 3 months now, and it's definely a good emanage system. anyway, as most of you know it doesn't come with a KNOCK SENSOR. so i was wondering what you guys were doing about knock detection. I would greatly appreciate some suggestions as to what i should get to detect knock.

thanks
we do nothing about it. just get a good wideband. I suggest PLX. dont go over 20 deg. timeing at WOT (I run 18), 20 psi on pumpgas, and keep the AFR in the 11's and you wont have a problem.
I have run an ems for 2 years. I can't even think of running anything else. YES, there is a learning curve but I will take that over a lack of basic features like knock correction, that even the stock ecu provides. Which standalone you use is irrelevant if you actually know how to tune. Basic things on the ems are just not there on the autronics.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sayanara
I actually got to see one of the older smc units in action two nights ago, and it seems very simple to use. I'm switching to the new sm4 autronic box, in about 6 weeks. Can't wait.
How's the SM4 going?

Quick Reply: For anyone considering the AEM vs. Autronic...