Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

For anyone considering the AEM vs. Autronic...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running the SM4 in my EVO8 and i love it. It handles injectors so much better then the AEM did. Im running Bosch 1600cc injectors and it idles better then when i had the 800cc injectors and AEM.

The one nice thing i like about the SM4 that i have not seen any other Standalone do is it is able to see what cylinder is knocking and only retard timing in that 1 cylinder while leaving the other alone unless it senses knock in those cylinders as well. Great if you ask me!!!

I will never go back to AEM. Its a great ecu for entry level standalones but when you have seen the benefits of a true standalone you will never go back.

Just thought i would throw my 0.02 in.

Chris
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past month I have done 3 smcs and 1 sm2, the autronic is a great unit, nothing wrong with it, very good in application.
I do alot of the AEM boxes also in different applications outside of just the evos, good box also. They both can give the desired result.

Sean
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:17 AM

I have been running the autronic pnp in my evo for around two years now with out a single problem. If you can understand 2d based map tuning (don't know how you couldn't) then you can tune your own car with this. I will agree with the original poster, I had my car up and running in a matter of 30 minutes.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

the 3rd D is done in the background on the autronic by boost compensation.

So it really isnt anymore 2d than using the aem with boost comp, the motec is the same way.

Sean
Old Sep 26, 2005, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

The autronic is way easier to get a better result than the aem from an ease of use standpoint, especially as it applies to cold start and such.
Also you can lock that calibration via password when done so your work is protected., I hate that with the AEM, anyone can go in and make a copy of your work.

Sean

Last edited by Sean I; Sep 26, 2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i want to know more. I am having a very hard time deciding between the AEM and the Autronic P&P. Would someone be so kind as to make a list of pros and cons between the two systems? I know this is in the Autronic forum so it might be biased a little.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i want to know more. I am having a very hard time deciding between the AEM and the Autronic P&P. Would someone be so kind as to make a list of pros and cons between the two systems? I know this is in the Autronic forum so it might be biased a little.
I would also like to know some more info on the differences between the 2!
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

I dont have any experiance with AEM I have a few friends that use it but haven't really looked at it much because simply i really dont care...

As far as what i have seen with Autronic, I purchased the Evo PnP unit last January. I pulled in my buddies shop with Flashed ECU, pluged in the Autronic loaded the base calibrations that comes with the ecu and it fired right up. The thing i like most about the unit is when tuning all you need to do is set up your target A/F table, datalog under normal driving and while hammering, open the graph then click on the mixture table, hit F5 and "ok". You will get a spread sheet with load vs. rpm and cell blocks at each point that you hit while dataloging. these cells will be red, yellow, green and tell you what the actual A/F is, the target A/F, and how many times that point was recorded. All you do then is double click the red and yellow cells and Autronic automatically changes your base fuel table. the next pull you make you will be dead on your target A/F perfectly. To use autronic like this you will need either a PLX wideband with 2 resistors, an innovate wideband and the autronic cable, or the Autronic wideband but it is BIG money. I have a PLX M-250 with 52mm gauge. you use a 9k and 1k resistor in the ground that goes to the ECU. The autronic wideband has weird ground voltage and this must be duplicated to get a correct reading on the ECU when using the PLX or innovate widebands. the innovate autronic cable has the resistor network inside a box and makes the change in voltage just as you do with the PLX and resistors. I prefer the PLX setup because i was helping a friend using his Innovate setup and it seemed to lag somewhat and i prefer the quicker responce i get with my PLX. It may have just been his wideband and all others will work fine. I have also used the Autronic wideband at the same time as the plx and get identical readings from both units so i know my setup is dead on at a fraction of the cost. Autronic is really the first tuning software i have really used and I have had no troubles at all. Im even using the stock boost solenoid the only thing i did was remove the pill that is in the vacume line right before it attaches to the solenoid.

Last edited by GOT EVO; Jan 31, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:19 PM

Any one know who I can order an Autronic from and have it shipped?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoman215
Any one know who I can order an Autronic from and have it shipped?
If you go on Autronics web site www.autronic.com they have a list of dealers. I called one of the places Engine Logics in Texas, nice gentleman very thorough and can answer a lot of questions you may have. Good Luck
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GOT EVO
I dont have any experiance with AEM I have a few friends that use it but haven't really looked at it much because simply i really dont care...

As far as what i have seen with Autronic, I purchased the Evo PnP unit last January. I pulled in my buddies shop with Flashed ECU, pluged in the Autronic loaded the base calibrations that comes with the ecu and it fired right up. The thing i like most about the unit is when tuning all you need to do is set up your target A/F table, datalog under normal driving and while hammering, open the graph then click on the mixture table, hit F5 and "ok". You will get a spread sheet with load vs. rpm and cell blocks at each point that you hit while dataloging. these cells will be red, yellow, green and tell you what the actual A/F is, the target A/F, and how many times that point was recorded. All you do then is double click the red and yellow cells and Autronic automatically changes your base fuel table. the next pull you make you will be dead on your target A/F perfectly. To use autronic like this you will need either a PLX wideband with 2 resistors, an innovate wideband and the autronic cable, or the Autronic wideband but it is BIG money. I have a PLX M-250 with 52mm gauge. you use a 9k and 1k resistor in the ground that goes to the ECU. The autronic wideband has weird ground voltage and this must be duplicated to get a correct reading on the ECU when using the PLX or innovate widebands. the innovate autronic cable has the resistor network inside a box and makes the change in voltage just as you do with the PLX and resistors. I prefer the PLX setup because i was helping a friend using his Innovate setup and it seemed to lag somewhat and i prefer the quicker responce i get with my PLX. It may have just been his wideband and all others will work fine. I have also used the Autronic wideband at the same time as the plx and get identical readings from both units so i know my setup is dead on at a fraction of the cost. Autronic is really the first tuning software i have really used and I have had no troubles at all. Im even using the stock boost solenoid the only thing i did was remove the pill that is in the vacume line right before it attaches to the solenoid.

GOOD info, thanks Got Evo!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2SloEvo
GOOD info, thanks Got Evo!!!!!!!!
I did what i could. I was in a bad motorcycle wreck 3 1/2 weeks ago and had brain sugery. I am just now getting to where i can make good sense of things. Im just glad my info didnt come out as complete jibberish. This is what my head looks like.

Old Feb 2, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

HOLY crap dude! I'm glad your alive, that must have been one crazy crash, no helmet i'm guesssing? I love bikes but they are dangerous, glad to know your recovering!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:40 PM

Got Evo - Glad to see you're doing better! I didn't think autronic had their knock control system fully functional yet? Boy am I behind thepower curve! Haha.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tlohman
Got Evo - Glad to see you're doing better! I didn't think autronic had their knock control system fully functional yet? Boy am I behind thepower curve! Haha.

Yea, the knock control is only on the SM4.

Quick Reply: For anyone considering the AEM vs. Autronic...