Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

A christmas Gift.. UTEC Digital Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I change it to com 4?

--Josh
Old Jan 4, 2005, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the command line (Look at the batch file that is included) it has it set for 1, but change it to 4 and run the batch file.. If not, look at how the command line is formatted, and create a shortcut for it.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
the command line (Look at the batch file that is included) it has it set for 1, but change it to 4 and run the batch file.. If not, look at how the command line is formatted, and create a shortcut for it.
IM sorry but I dont know much about software. Could you explain it better. I dont understand the use of the command line. Or where to go to bring it up. Thanks

--Josh
Old Jan 4, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ok Jack I got this one... Ok Josh simply right click on the batch file... (its labeled UTEC) right click and select EDIT. 3rd line from the bottom you'll see PORT=1 change that simply to your port and close saving changes.. thats all there is to it..
not bad for a psych major huh Jack? haha btw AWESOME DUDE!! tried it tonight love it alot better than the standard Hyperterminal Dash!!! Dude keep up the good work!! I definitely am interested in future installments.. and THANKS FOR AN AWESOME CHRISTMAS PRESENT!!!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks! I'm glad someone is using it and enjoying it.. BTW, the log files turn up in whatever directory you launched the app from.. Never bothered to do anything complex with that.

This app was originally designed to run on an In-Car PC with a 640x480 or 800x600 screen..

Eventually I'll get around to porting this to Visual Basic .NET and adding a ton of new features, but I really like the simplicity of this..

I guess you like the fact that you can run windows telnet or hyperterminal to it at the same time as the dashboard and see whats going on, make an adjustment, then restart the logging and everything continues where it left off..
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help. I will hook it up tomorrow and see if it works.

--Josh
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:12 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Wait, you can have your dash and hyperterm using the same serial port at the same time?
Do you have one-key (space?) logging or you have to click the button on the screen?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I wrote a "server" that attaches to the serial port, and the dashboard is basically a telnet client that connects and starts and stops the logging.. While its running, you can telnet into it (on the port I set on the batch file or port 23 by default) when the dashboard is running, you will see the log data going by, if you use hyperterminal or telnet to stop the logging and do something else, the dashboard will pause until you go back to the main menu and do a SHIFT-1 again, which the Dashboard will then resume when it sees the data stream.

It gets even better, if you have some sort of wireless connection for instance through a cellular modem connection or wireless access point, you could connect to it through the internet, or through a simple wireless lan setup and view the dashboard REMOTELY (and telnet into it and adjust the tuning REMOTELY)

I designed this originally to allow remote data logging and tuning while at the track... Don't forget the app isn't a secure server, so don't just put it up on any old port on the internet.. LOL You don't want someone retuning your car

Pretty nifty eh?

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jan 4, 2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SoR
Wait, you can have your dash and hyperterm using the same serial port at the same time?
Do you have one-key (space?) logging or you have to click the button on the screen?
And yes, you have to click the logger button to start it and stop it.. I had overlooked intercepting the keyboard input for a spacebar to start and stop, and I never added any trigger based log starting and stopping or a rolling data snapshot (10-30 seconds of data always cached just in case you catch something weird and want to snapshot of it) These weree all things that I indended to add, but found I didn't have the luxury of time to continue working on it...
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:28 PM
EvoM Guru

I actually demo'ed the remote tuning awhile back at a get together last year, using an accesspoint, a laptop in the car with the dashboard running, and another laptop that is the "Remote tuner"

I was hoping that UCC-3 would eventually allow a telnet connection in addition to a serial connection to leverage this feature. Unfortunately uploading maps requires that the engine not be running when uploading so its a bit of a moot point.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but can someone send this to me? When My laptop crashed last week I lost everything, logs, maps, etc. It wasn't pretty. Now I'll be running XP instead of 98. And wireless in the garage YAY!!!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 02:07 PM

what did you write this in? going to give out source code?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but can someone send this to me? When My laptop crashed last week I lost everything, logs, maps, etc. It wasn't pretty. Now I'll be running XP instead of 98. And wireless in the garage YAY!!!
The link still works, so just download it from there.

--Josh
Old Mar 19, 2005, 09:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Airs
what did you write this in? going to give out source code?
I originally wrote this in VB, recently I rewrote it in Delphi since the new .NET stuff creates seriously bloated code that doest run very well on older laptops.

I'm not intending to release the source code only because its a pretty straightforward adaptation of a communications application.

I'll get back to it at some point in the future, I didn't see a huge demand for it at the moment and the code I have does what I want, which is logs data and gives me a quick "view" of the data in real time (the dashboard portion)
Old Jun 2, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

are there any screen shots of this available?