Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

A christmas Gift.. UTEC Digital Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A christmas Gift.. UTEC Digital Dashboard

OK guys, I can't offer any support for the app, but extract the files into a directory, and run the batch file from that directory.. Its configured by default to use COM1 since most laptops use COM1..

No warranty or support.. Sorry, the BATCH file documents the command line options, and once you get the hang of it, you can connect to the listener (the portion that connects to the UTEC) With hyperterminal (Telnet) or several programs at the same time.. The Logger feature starts a log file with a time/date formatted filename, every time you start and stop the logging, and the files are saved in the same directory the app is run from. I kept it very simple since this program was intended to be used in an In-Car PC where it would be launched by other applications. Also, this app by default expects the TurboXS Tuner to be running, I'm not sure what will happen to the app or the logging if that data is unavailable. (If I recall correctly the AFR display will show the modified HZ output of the MAF instead)

Enjoy...

http://www2.longislandstreetscene.com:9449/utec.exe.zip

I WILL eventually start working on the app again if there's enough interest in it. This is a ZIP file, but its also a self extracting zip file, so if you want to run the installer (portable extractor) rename the file from UTEC.EXE.ZIP to UTEC.EXE

Consider this my christmas gift to the UTEC community.. Consider this application E-MailWare, that is, if you use it.. Drop me a PM or E-mail..
Old Dec 24, 2004, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh, and this has not been written to work with the WRX or STI Utec.. though only the dashboard itself would need minor revision to work.. I haven't had the time (I do have both an Evo and WRX UTEC if I can get the time to work on it again)
Old Dec 24, 2004, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack,

Thanks i am using it with no problem so far, pretty neat gift .
Old Dec 24, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'm curious...

I just started reading about this...

Are you coding this yourself?

If you like - I could build a more friendly user interface (gui)...

Just a thought...
Old Dec 24, 2004, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

The point of the interface is to be simple.. not much of a GUI...

And yes, this is an application I wrote as a quick dashboard/data logger.. Nothing more.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

MalibuJack - Could explain what the digital dashboard is?

Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Man! I really want a Utec now! I gotta order one soon heh.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 05:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jon H
MalibuJack - Could explain what the digital dashboard is?

Thanks.
Its basically just a data logger.. but while it logs the data, it displays relevent information in a dashboard fashion so you can see what its doing in real time... This application was written for a in-car PC therefore it has a very simple interface that lets you start and stop the logging.. AS long as the dashboard is running, its capturing data, however it only saves the logs if you click the logger button.

I actually didn't think "digital dashboard" needed much explaination.. Its just a digital representation of a dashboard using available information from the logging.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Jack. When I first saw the words "Digital Dashboard," for some reason I was thinking of a The Fast and The Furious manifold danger with touch screen. lol
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Nice can't wait to use it

Ben
Old Dec 25, 2004, 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm curious to know how many people end up using this with no trouble.. and the ones who do have trouble, what the problemw as, and what operating system.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I'm curious to know how many people end up using this with no trouble.. and the ones who do have trouble, what the problemw as, and what operating system.
THANK YOU JACK!!!! What a Christmas present. I will begin testing tonight and will keep you posted.

Three cheers for Jack for his contributions to the UTEC community and the Evolutionm.net community.

-Adam
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

MalibuJack,

I thought you have a version of Digital Dash for Pocket PC, no? So you are not having a new PPC version available?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep, I do have a PPC version, but its not formatted for the average pocket PC, but for a HPC, I was developing both of these in parallel until the sourcecode diverged.. the problem is that working on both isn't really a high priority so the one I need to update for a particular reason usually gets my attention. The HPC code has been stable for some time, but because its formatted for a 640x240 screen, it doesnt use the 240x320 formatted layout and requires some work.

I released this because it seemed like it will serve people well for the time being.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Yep, I do have a PPC version, but its not formatted for the average pocket PC, but for a HPC.
Where can I download a copy? I do have a very old HP HPC sitting in my closet.