Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

utec abc or hallman mbc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
utec abc or hallman mbc

hey guys,getting my utec tune this weekend,should i just leave
the abc in there or swap it and install a mbc....
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Leave the ABC in their. It should work fine.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

ditto that, leave it in... like Malibu told me one day, leave the ABC in so when future upgrades come along for UTEC will be able to use it to full capability
Old Jan 20, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Just leave it in there and use the Utec settings.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 07:44 AM

I just had my Hallman mbc removed to go with Utec and abc. Turbotrix warned me that I can get more consistent results with the mbc. I should have listened. I am getting the P0234 code (overboost problem) because the boost is spiking pretty bad now. It is set at 25 psi (with alcohol injection) but it's probably hitting 28-30 psi and tapering to 21. All for the convenience of having two programs w/o manually adjusting the mbc. I am thinking about getting the Turboxs dual mbc.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobS
I just had my Hallman mbc removed to go with Utec and abc. Turbotrix warned me that I can get more consistent results with the mbc. I should have listened. I am getting the P0234 code (overboost problem) because the boost is spiking pretty bad now. It is set at 25 psi (with alcohol injection) but it's probably hitting 28-30 psi and tapering to 21. All for the convenience of having two programs w/o manually adjusting the mbc. I am thinking about getting the Turboxs dual mbc.

You do have a MAP sensor right? I have been on the fence about ditching my Hallman for the the Utec bleed valve and MAP sensor. This is interesting info. Can't wait to hear what MJ has to say about it.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:10 AM

No map sensor. If you ask me, I would suggest you keep your hallman. It seems to do a better job at holding steady boost. But then again what do I know. I'm just a noob.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually, the best way to work with the ABC is to use closed loop boost with the MAP sensor.. **HOWEVER** you can minimize spiking by using lower duty cycles in the area you get spikes and it won't happen.. if you blindly set duty cycles, you will get spiking.

an MBC does also have the same problem when downshifting or running through the gears when boost builds faster than the MBC can build line pressure to open the wastegate.

The trick is to make your boost maps start at 25-30% duty In open loop boost, then each load column column go up intil you hit your desired level.. and at peak torque (where peak boost would occur) your highest duty cycle would actually be LOWER than at higher rpm.. that will produce a rock steady boost curve with minimal spiking. However if you want the least possibility with spiking, closed loop boost control works best.

an MBC Is completely undesireable in the northeast since any given day your boost can be 2-5psi different thanks to air pressure and temp.. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't spend time driving their car with an MBC every day, or is trying to sell you something.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

I was not aware that there was even an option to run the bleed valve w/o a Map sensor. It seems like that is where you ran into trouble.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Wait, wait, wait. So when I insatll my ABC I have to use the MAP sensor? No problem there it will be going in this coming weekend. And do I have to use the stock pill in the line for the ABC?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its not required to run the map sensor at all.. Its just if you want to run closed loop boost, you need it.. Otherwise you can play with the duty cycles to get the boost curve you want.. HOWEVER when weather changes, so will your boost.