Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

how to configure usb/serial adapter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to configure usb/serial adapter

i recently purchased a usb/serial cable because my laptop does not have a serial port. is there any way in winxp pro to configure the usb port to com1? i know in older versions of windows it was possible.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to do this but it really depends on the laptop and the USB to serial device you got. I use a belkin USB to serial on some of the laptops I have and I have been able to set it to com1 by simply disabling any ports in the BIOS then under the ports section of Windows XP in the device manager double click on the port that is currently assigned to the USB device. Next click on the port settings tab then click on adavanced. This will bring up the FIFO buffers and at the bottom of the page you will see a section where you can assign the COM port. If COM1 is not listed it is most likely used by another device such as a modem. If this is the case you can simply change the modem settings using the same methods.

Why do you need to connect to COM1? If you are using the UTEC you can simply change the port that you connect to the utec through via Hyperterminal. If you are using UCC I believe you can set the com port that you use in the program somewhere as well.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
You should be able to do this but it really depends on the laptop and the USB to serial device you got. I use a belkin USB to serial on some of the laptops I have and I have been able to set it to com1 by simply disabling any ports in the BIOS then under the ports section of Windows XP in the device manager double click on the port that is currently assigned to the USB device. Next click on the port settings tab then click on adavanced. This will bring up the FIFO buffers and at the bottom of the page you will see a section where you can assign the COM port. If COM1 is not listed it is most likely used by another device such as a modem. If this is the case you can simply change the modem settings using the same methods.

Why do you need to connect to COM1? If you are using the UTEC you can simply change the port that you connect to the utec through via Hyperterminal. If you are using UCC I believe you can set the com port that you use in the program somewhere as well.

The COM port doesnt matter, as long the port shares the same IRQ you're ok. I connected to my cousins utec on his subaru using COM 5 and 11 today.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

i hooked up the usb/serial cable and i tried it on ports 3 and up, 1 and 2 weren't available as options in the HT setup. i want to use com1 because the UCC on this forum only uses com1.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

did your usb to serial adapter come with a driver disk? Maybe that program can help set the com ports.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

nah, just the cable. i'm gonna have to figure out how the hell to get into the bios setup on this piece of junk.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The F keys are your friends....f2/f8/f6 usually one of those should work
Old Feb 28, 2005, 08:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm fairly certain UCC lets you set the com port you want.. start by at least seeing if you can configure Hyperterminal and get it to see the UTEC on the USB/Serial adapter.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

The usb to serial connector my cousin got was called iConnect or something like that. All I did was hook it up, install the drivers and the com port showed up in hyperterminal. Im 99% sure the COM port you're using doesnt matter.
If you really need to use COM 1 bad, then find out what device is currently using it, and change that to a different COM port. I believe COM1 uses IRQ4.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, i guess i got jipped by not getting a driver disk.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend the attached usb/serial adapter. Haven't had any issues with it so far.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384690192
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

sure you just need a driver just google it with the name of the maker and youll find it