Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Question on tuning...after being flashed.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on tuning...after being flashed.

My questions is kind of complex, and please forgive me if I do not word this right. Please also know that I am not bashing anyone or anything. With that being said here is the question.

Is there a possibility that flashing your ECU (in order to run properly with your new additions) can hurt the ability to tune later?

Here is an example. I am flashed with intake/tbe/ and fuel pump. If I wanted to add a SAFC, fuel injectors, fuel rail, cams and cam gears, and then tune it off of the SAFC, is there a possibility that I would come up with less hp, than someone who had the exact same mods and no flash??

I have a friend who has flash/intercooler pipes/TBE/Fuel Inj/Fule rail/ SAFC and is making less power than someone who has TBE/FI/FR/SAFC/Intercooler pipes-and no flash.

Would it be better to flash back to stock, and then tune everything off the SAFC?

I am curious to know becuase I don't want to wait another year to get flashed with the new parts, just to make more power. Was it a waste to get it flashed in the first place? SHould I have just waited to get all the parts and get it tuned through a SAFC or EXEDE system?

I hope this makes sense and any help on this would be appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I would think that any "flash" is optimized for how the car is set up on the day of the flash. If you keep adding "tuning" parts which affect the mapping, then there's a distinct probability that you could upset the performance. I think it's an iterative process.....you add some mods, then tune to optimize, add some more mods then re-tune etc....or you add all the mods at one time and then get a single definitive re-flash.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

I understand that I would have to re-flash after adding the new parts, but if I chose to tune the A/F ration (SAFC) with the addition of fuel injectors. fule rail, cams, and cam gears, why would I not be able to achieve the same horse...if not better than someone that does not have a flashed ECU?