Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC/ABC & boost spike?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:21 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC/ABC & boost spike?

Installed ABC and switched to closed loop boost with external MAP and I opened ABC to 2 turns.
Boost map goes from 350 at low rpms to 400 at redline and I get about 1.2bar (~17psi) with basically no taper.
However at times I get a spike to 1.4bar (~19psi) which then immediately falls back down to 1.2bar and stays there. It doesn't taper slowly.

Anyone have any idea why?

When I try to reproduce the problem I can't
I step on it (tried all gears) and it goes to 1.2 and stays there. So it doesn't spike everytime but every once in a full moon.
I didn't log when I saw the spike (my boost gauge records the peak boost) so I don't have any logs which I could analyse
Thx.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 09:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, there's a gain setting of some sort that lets you alter the rate at which the solenoid changes duty cycle, the more responsive you make it, the more you tend to spike, the more "Dead" you make it, the more stable boost you get, at the expensive of slower ramping of the boost...

You have to unfortunately try to "Catch it" when it happens so I can see the logs, but its possible you went "out of scale" and confused the UTEC
Old Mar 20, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I like haveing the boost control on my Utec maps, but it isn't as good as my old HKS EVC V.
I could set the HKS at a particular boost (gain setting), and it would hold it to redline.
With the Utec/ABC, I can't get it to hold and it's a bit jumpy. Right now I'm trying to get it to hold 23psi, it will peak to 23.7 or 24 by 4200 then it will jump around between 22.5-23.1 then start dropping off around 6200 ending up at 20.3 at 7500.
All my vacuum lines are good. I have ABC set to 2 1/4 out, boost gain is at 33 and my boost map is 370 up to 5000 then goes up in increments of 20 to redline, peaking at 450.
I have noticed I get the most response from the boost gain settings. No big change when I mess with the ABC.
I think becaus the stock boost control system is a bleed type set-up, it won't be as responsive as a ball/spring MBC set-up, or and EBC stepping motor slolenoid.
I going to work with the Utec some more, but I'm probably going back to HKS.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:22 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

I'm actually thinking of hooking up a MBC somehow so I can still monkey around with UTEC boost maps but prevent the spikes. I was expecting much more with the ABC installed since you don't have to run the solenoid at 100% for 19psi but it might just be that the soleniod sucks. Will do some more testing one I find more time.
And HKS is a really nice unit but I don't wanna spend that much on a boost controller.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, Unfortunately the Mitsubishi boost control system and solenoid were never intended to be used like this...

I have been contemplating using a GM boost solenoid for awhile, but haven't had the time to test it any further than putting together the prototype and running it for a day or two.. I think I'll return to working on that.. the funny part is I don't have the spiking or stability problem with boost control that others are talking about.