Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC Handshake Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC Handshake Problems

So I've been using my UTEC for about a month now. I run through a Belkin Serial-to-USB adapter. Every once in a while I have this problem where I can't send and receive data through UCC or HyperTerminal. I have a UTEC running 1.7, the Tuner Pro, two serial M/F cables, and the Belkin adapter.

Going through HyperTerminal, I can plug directly into the UTEC by serial cable/Belkin adapter and communicate. And I can communicate that way with the UTEC through UCC. So I know the first cable and the UTEC are okay. And my HyperTerminal and UCC connections are configured correctly. It also leads me to believe that the Belkin adapter is okay too, but this is suspect...

I can also plug into the Tuner Pro with a different serial cable and communicate, so I know the second cable and the Tuner are okay.

But when I'm running through the Adapter to the Tuner and then the UTEC, I can't communicate with the UTEC in UCC--all I get is a message about trying to handshake and, after a while, some sort of failure message. Through HyperTerminal, all I see is the Tuner Pro menu.

So if all the parts work, why can't I work through the Tuner Pro into the UTEC? Is there something about the adapter that would let it communicate when directly connected to the UTEC, but not when connected to the UTEC through the Tuner? I'm getting really frustrated with this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a "handshake" problem now and then. I key off and key on and it seems to fix it and then connects.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately mine is more than every now and then. It's more like every other time I try to log. I've tried unplugging the USB and plugging it back in...closing and reopening UCC/HyperTerminal...unplugging and reconnecting the serial cables...rebooting my laptop...none of which have helped. I even pulled the negative battery terminal.

I just tried unplugging all of the harnesses from the Tuner and reattaching them. It's communicating fine right now...I don't get it...

Anyway, thanks. I hope this works itself out.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I always have the same problem. Another Evom memeber came up with a trick that works 99% of the time for me (but is still a pain).
When you try to open the hyperterminal link to the utec and nothing comes up. click on "transfer" "recieve file" "recieve", make up a file name (couple letters), return, it will says something like it can't. once you hit "ok" it will work.
Try it.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know if this is the same prob or not, but the UTEC seems to have some bug where it stops understanding the keys you send to it. This happens to me occasionally. If you connect with HyperTerminal when the UTEC is in this state, no matter what key you press, it just refreshes the screen and leaves you on the main menu. Cycling the power fixes it. I'm not using a USB adapter either, my laptop has a serial port. Does everyone run into this?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks bishiboy. I'll try that next time it happens (probably today).

I haven't had that problem before. I can always communicate normally when directly plugged into the units. When they're chained together I can talk to to the Tuner Pro just like normal (log, change settings, etc.).