Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

EGT Temps??

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGT Temps??

Has anyone with an EGT temp noticed the temp at WOT under full boost?? If so what temp are you seeing??
Old May 15, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At WOT, my EGT guage usually hits near 1,000 degrees Farenheit....but once it idles for a little bit, it drops back to about 600. This is with my newly installed cams, cam gears, and fuel pump, so the engine maybe working at a higher temperature because of these mods. Maybe after my tune the temp might drop a little ?
Old May 15, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by rlazer5000
At WOT, my EGT guage usually hits near 1,000 degrees Farenheit....but once it idles for a little bit, it drops back to about 600. This is with my newly installed cams, cam gears, and fuel pump, so the engine maybe working at a higher temperature because of these mods. Maybe after my tune the temp might drop a little ?
Pre turbo or post turbo temps?
Old May 15, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by fstgvr4
Has anyone with an EGT temp noticed the temp at WOT under full boost?? If so what temp are you seeing??
There are a lot of other posts on this same question. Just search and you will find a ton. There are also a number things that affect temperature, like where the sensor is placed.
Old May 15, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoFoLife
Pre turbo or post turbo temps?
Good question... I'd guess those are pre-turbo. I never saw mine go over 700c in my EVO VIII my probe was about 3" away from the head..... I'd like to know which is the cylinder which is most likely to run lean (hotter).... I might install my EGT gauge in my MR......
Old May 15, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

@ Wot your temp should be 870c or 1598F .. that is roughly the same as .92v from the o2 sensor... my idle is about 700-900 depending on idle .. at normal opp temps its 700 at idle.. just cruising around it varies between 900-1200 .. 5th gear on the highway @ 80 is 1200-1300. It should be pre turbo and the most ideal spot is in the collector.. i know most people place it in the 2nd runner.. Only bad thing about that is if the injectors are malfuntioning or a lil clogged your not going to get a good reading.. so the collector( According to Dave Buschur) is the best spot...you also want to have it placed 2" from the turbine housing..
Old May 15, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 03BREvo8
@ Wot your temp should be 870c or 1598F .. that is roughly the same as .92v from the o2 sensor... my idle is about 700-900 depending on idle .. at normal opp temps its 700 at idle.. just cruising around it varies between 900-1200 .. 5th gear on the highway @ 80 is 1200-1300. It should be pre turbo and the most ideal spot is in the collector.. i know most people place it in the 2nd runner.. Only bad thing about that is if the injectors are malfuntioning or a lil clogged your not going to get a good reading.. so the collector( According to Dave Buschur) is the best spot...you also want to have it placed 2" from the turbine housing..
In the collector huh? I have heard that most put it in the first runner. I would listen to what Dave says though. Thats good information since I will be installing my sensor soon. Anyone have pictures of install in this location? Could be helpfull for people considering an EGT probe.

ps. Where did you see that dave recomends that location?
Old May 15, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Good question... I'd guess those are pre-turbo. I never saw mine go over 700c in my EVO VIII my probe was about 3" away from the head..... I'd like to know which is the cylinder which is most likely to run lean (hotter).... I might install my EGT gauge in my MR......
I think I remember hearing that the #4 runs the hottest. Noize knows for sure. Im sure Andrew @ Dyno4mance knows also.
Old May 15, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. I realize it is kinda of a vague question being that are some factors that play a role. I installed an EGT probe in the O2 housing being that it is after the turbo (per the instructions from Auto Meter and what I have read on some engineering forums reg. turbos) it should more accurately read the temps as it is not solely reading one runner. Although that sounds, I thought being after the turbo that would affect the reading some what, however, a wideband sensor should be installed about 18 to 24 inches after the turbo to accurately read the air/fuel ratio so I thought installing the probe after the turbo was the best location.

Thoughts?
Old May 15, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

i will be installing my Wideband and EGT probes soon......i was going to put the EGT probe in the down pipe as close to the O2 housing as possible and the Wideband as close my HFC as possible. i know this is the correct location for the Wideband but i the EGT is not the best......how much will the readings be off on my EGT??
Old May 15, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
i will be installing my Wideband and EGT probes soon......i was going to put the EGT probe in the down pipe as close to the O2 housing as possible and the Wideband as close my HFC as possible. i know this is the correct location for the Wideband but i the EGT is not the best......how much will the readings be off on my EGT??
You will experience much different temps. I have seen differences by hundreds of degrees.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

that is not what i wanted to hear......i'm not going to be tuning from the EGT temps...... i wasn't even going to get the probe but i got a really good deal on it when i got the PLX R-500....i will see how much it will be to install in the correct place.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by djmikeymike
that is not what i wanted to hear......i'm not going to be tuning from the EGT temps...... i wasn't even going to get the probe but i got a really good deal on it when i got the PLX R-500....i will see how much it will be to install in the correct place.
Install is not that bad if you are somewhat technically minded, but if you have the money save yourself the headache.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoFoLife
In the collector huh? I have heard that most put it in the first runner. I would listen to what Dave says though. Thats good information since I will be installing my sensor soon. Anyone have pictures of install in this location? Could be helpfull for people considering an EGT probe.

ps. Where did you see that dave recomends that location?
if you look at my webshots site there is a pic there , heat shield is on though but you get a gereral location.. Http://community.webshots.com/user/brevo8
Old May 15, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

i think i might just do it in the downpipe.......because what happens if i put it in runner #2 and someting happens in cylinder #4....i know the EGT temps will be off, but i will at least have some idea want is going on.

Quick Reply: EGT Temps??