Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC setting Check Engine lights ramdomly?!!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC setting Check Engine lights ramdomly?!!

Okay folks,

I have noticed the UTEC keeps setting different check engine codes. Today, I got a throttle position out of range code, last week I got MAF code, then some EGR code etc. It just sets random codes. Does anyone know why it does this? Sometimes the check engine light will come on and after couple on-off cycles, it goes off. I have already updated to 1.7 firmware.

Thanks again!

Alfred
Old May 25, 2005, 05:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It shouldn't, the only code I get on occasion is due to the airflow (boost) rising faster than the ECU expects it to on cold days..

Here's a quick question for you.. When you start the car, do you just turn the key and go? or do you give the UTEC an opportunity to boot? (wait a second or two after turning the key to the start position and starting the engine) The reason I ask is because when I first started using the UTEC, it had the earlier firmware, and it would boot almost instantaniously, the v1.7 firmware takes a little longer to initialize, and occasionally if you just turn the key and start the engine, the UTEC may not be fully booted and passing the signals from the sensors through to the ECU, which is likely the reason its setting a majority of the CEL's..

I suggest resetting the ECU to clear the codes, then turning the key for a second or two, before cranking the engine (usually I watch for the CEL to flash the map# before I crank the engine, since that confirms its booted)

See if that helps, also double-check all the connections to the UTEC and ECU, if not, then contact turboXS since it could be the UTEC itself.... Out of curiosity did you purchase the UTEC new or used?
Old May 26, 2005, 11:35 PM

I will try that two second warm up procedure. I also noticed that I can set the cell display to off in the utec but the check engine light still stays on!

This is driving me crazy.......oh well, thanks again for your help. I did get it used.

Alfred

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
It shouldn't, the only code I get on occasion is due to the airflow (boost) rising faster than the ECU expects it to on cold days..

Here's a quick question for you.. When you start the car, do you just turn the key and go? or do you give the UTEC an opportunity to boot? (wait a second or two after turning the key to the start position and starting the engine) The reason I ask is because when I first started using the UTEC, it had the earlier firmware, and it would boot almost instantaniously, the v1.7 firmware takes a little longer to initialize, and occasionally if you just turn the key and start the engine, the UTEC may not be fully booted and passing the signals from the sensors through to the ECU, which is likely the reason its setting a majority of the CEL's..

I suggest resetting the ECU to clear the codes, then turning the key for a second or two, before cranking the engine (usually I watch for the CEL to flash the map# before I crank the engine, since that confirms its booted)

See if that helps, also double-check all the connections to the UTEC and ECU, if not, then contact turboXS since it could be the UTEC itself.... Out of curiosity did you purchase the UTEC new or used?
Old May 27, 2005, 05:11 AM
EvoM Guru

If you have the CEL light turned off, but its still on (not flashing from knock) then there's possibly something wrong with the UTEC.. Try reflashing the UTEC again, its possible something became corrupt. If that startup wait doesn't help and reflashing doesnt help, recheck the connections and install, make sure the wiring is ok, you never mentioned if it was purchased new or used (it doesnt really matter, but it does seem like I've seen a few used units coming into the possesion of members and they are having problems)

in any case, before you get too insane, also check the reflash switch, make sure after you reflashed the firmware, that you set the switch back to RUN mode from program mode (run mode should be the switch "Down" if I recall) since I do recall a member having odd problems with his UTEC which ended up being the program switch.
Old May 27, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ICE888
Okay folks,

I have noticed the UTEC keeps setting different check engine codes. Today, I got a throttle position out of range code, last week I got MAF code, then some EGR code etc. It just sets random codes. Does anyone know why it does this? Sometimes the check engine light will come on and after couple on-off cycles, it goes off. I have already updated to 1.7 firmware.

Thanks again!

Alfred
I have the same problem and have yet to find the reason. Going to try Jack's idea out to see if it helps.
Old May 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, I got confused with something. If I turn the CEL light off, will the cel still be stored in the ecu, so the ecu will still act like the light is on and start dumping fuel and retard the timing a bit?
Old May 28, 2005, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Okay.. the UTEC's CEL Disable feature just turns off the light, it doesn't alter the codes or prevent them from showing up in the stock ECU..

Now, FWIW not many codes will cause the ECU to run differently, and it shouldn't have much impact on anything but your closed loop driving since the UTEC handles everything in open loop once its tuned.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Okay.. the UTEC's CEL Disable feature just turns off the light, it doesn't alter the codes or prevent them from showing up in the stock ECU..

Now, FWIW not many codes will cause the ECU to run differently, and it shouldn't have much impact on anything but your closed loop driving since the UTEC handles everything in open loop once its tuned.

I guess this feature on my UTEC just doesnt work. Oh well, I have a scanner permanently mounted in my car to fix the check engine light issues.....

Alfred