Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Should I purchase a UTEC?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I purchase a UTEC?

Hey guys!

The question is pretty basic. Should I purchase a UTEC for my Evo? Just to give you a little bit of history, I've been reading topics about engine tuning on many forums and in books. I know I have a good grasp on most of the major concepts, and I know I have TONS more to learn. As of right now, cars are my hobby, however I'm looking for a career change to the automotive industry. Specifically, I want to learn everything I can about tuning engines, and I think a UTEC and Tuner for my Evo are a great start. I will have plenty of extra time to tune. I previously thought an S-AFCII would be sufficient, but I want something more functional as well as something I can expand my abilities with. I realize that serious harm could come to my car if I get things screwed up, but I'm a failry intelligent, observant individual. I plan to RTFM before I even install it.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Jeff
Old Jun 1, 2005, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Well, since nobody else is weighing in, I'll toss you a bone :-)

It's more straight forward than the Xede (and potentially more dangerous!), and at last check, the logging was far superior, the simple TurboXS Tuner at least puts A/F in your logs. I'm less than enthusiastic about havning to get a Dtec and Game Boy to register EGT's (if that can actually take place, I was put off by the extra cost and clutter that would result in a complete set up.)

Jack is one of the best reasons to take a chance with Utec, Plus there are some other guys who help out on this list that know their stuff as well.

I don't think I'd go with anything less than a Utec for serious logging and tuning.

The stand alones will run you lots of money and time in set up and mod costs from what I can tell, not to mention the "waiting to get things right" general frustration. (I have a friend who is bailing on that approach, It's great if you have the expertise, time and money like some of the pro shops).

Because you want to learn the ropes, you need to log. You will need the Tuner to get A/F's, otherwise you're dangerously guessing.

like the saying says "... in for a penny, in for a pound" ( that must be English)
Good luck
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone else?

Jack, care to chime in here?
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't say I have a huge amount of input on this topic, my personal opinion is everyone should own a UTEC and everyone should learn to tune a car themselves. But in reality, it depends on your needs. In your case, your desire to learn, and interest in actually doing this "habitually" makes you a good candidate for a device that is capable of good logging. Short of the AEM EMS, or Hydra Nemesis, the UTEC is one of the few piggybacks that has quite a few features of a standalone along with the type of usable logging.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

http://store.jdm-spec.com/turboxsevoutec.html
$899
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. UTEC will be my next mod, after I get a laptop!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeffR116
Thanks for the input guys. UTEC will be my next mod, after I get a laptop!
I can sell you my old laptop for 200.00 bucks..cost me 450.00 at boeing surplus...Ryan knows how to get a hold of me if you interested. I have a UTEC with A DETEC/PRO TUNER and I Love it...I'm with Jack on this one. I THINK EVERONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!!

Herb
Old Jun 2, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by action 911
I can sell you my old laptop for 200.00 bucks..cost me 450.00 at boeing surplus...Ryan knows how to get a hold of me if you interested. I have a UTEC with A DETEC/PRO TUNER and I Love it...I'm with Jack on this one. I THINK EVERONE SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!!

Herb
Sent you a PM Herb!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would go with it i love it and its just an amazing unit!

pm me and i can hook u up with a new one for a awsome price!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I was in the same boat you are in Jeff! I wanted to learn how to tune and I wanted good control over my car. The UTEC is the perfect little device for this! I did however have a tune done by someone in the know at first just to get the basics down for what I needed to do. You can either go that route, tune very slowly, or take the EFI101 course =) My only complaint is people dont want to share their maps. Not sure why... Maybe they are worth $1 million dollars and we dont know it yet =)
Good luck hope to see you on the boards with a UTEC soon!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

hey jeff you gotta message
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:11 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I was in the same boat you are in Jeff! I wanted to learn how to tune and I wanted good control over my car. The UTEC is the perfect little device for this! I did however have a tune done by someone in the know at first just to get the basics down for what I needed to do. You can either go that route, tune very slowly, or take the EFI101 course =) My only complaint is people dont want to share their maps. Not sure why... Maybe they are worth $1 million dollars and we dont know it yet =)
Good luck hope to see you on the boards with a UTEC soon!
The UTEC is a wonderful tool. I would be very careful sharing Maps. From what we have delt with Every EVO is a little different and if you load someone elses map onto your UTEC you could blow your motor. Even the Stage II turboXS map ran lean on the EVO here.

My recommendation is get it [shameless self promotion] maybe from us [/shameless self promotion] know what you are doing before you do it and read alot about it. Read anything and everything you can find. Don't be afraid to tune it but don't be to unafraid that you change something that you don't know about.

So in closing the UTEC is a very powerful tool but beware because its power could hurt you.(kind sounds like a star wars quote or something)
Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:21 AM

I just got my Utec, hope to get it tune by end of next week.