Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

What are you thoughts of Vishnu's new auto tuning?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you thoughts of Vishnu's new auto tuning?

Just curious what all you UTEC guys' thoughts are on Vishnu's recent announcement about their auto tune upgrade?

Also, is this type of auto tuning pausible with the UTEC in the future do you think?
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

this thing isn't a new idea at all. Autronics use the autotune on the af ratios. The timing , well the timing auto thing has been around since the 1g dsms in my opinion. Same thing applies, if the stock ecu doesn't see knock, it'll add timing, if it does see a bit, it'll hold timing, and if it sees a lot, it'll retard timing. Nothing new at all.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chills
Just curious what all you UTEC guys' thoughts are on Vishnu's recent announcement about their auto tune upgrade?

Also, is this type of auto tuning pausible with the UTEC in the future do you think?
Its gonna be awesome. I need to see if TXS is coming out with something similiar or I mu=ight have to swutchover.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
May be nothing new but it is offering a feature which up to now, with the Autronic at least, has been pretty much cost prohibitive to most. At least you won't have to go out and purchase an uber expensive proprietary wideband to make this work.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

any wideband with a 0-5v analog output will do, like the lm-1 =)
Old Jun 4, 2005, 01:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Tell that to the guys at Autronic, if that's what you are referring to.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the Autronic continually autotune?
Old Jun 4, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Does the Autronic continually autotune?
Nope. It requires a special wideband and load bearing dyno in order to go through the processes of the autotune feature.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:41 PM

I think it will be interesting to see how and with what Turboxs responds to this. I hope the have some new and exciting possiblities for all us utec users out there.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Without going into more details, I don't think real-time autotuning will be as big a "Feature" as many people think, its been around a long time, but up until recently, most OEM and Aftermarket ECU's just weren't fast enough to autotune efficiently in real time.

I think its a great idea, but so far there has been a reason why it hasn't caught on. I'd love to see it work, but it takes more than a knock sensor and a wideband..

as far as I know, I don't think there's many ECU's out there that can autotune in real time safely so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. On the other hand, if its a one-time autotune where you run and gather data for a few days, that is then put into a base map, then dynamically adjust trims accordingly, I can see that being more practical.

Anyway, this isn't really a topic for the UTEC forum (since anything comparing the two is controversial enough)

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jun 5, 2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Tell that to the guys at Autronic, if that's what you are referring to.
Actually if you go to the innovative motorsports website, they actually made an exact cable just for the autronic 0-5v. Neato =)
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Without going into more details, I don't think real-time autotuning will be as big a "Feature" as many people think, its been around a long time, but up until recently, most OEM and Aftermarket ECU's just weren't fast enough to autotune efficiently in real time.

I think its a great idea, but so far there has been a reason why it hasn't caught on. I'd love to see it work, but it takes more than a knock sensor and a wideband..
It sure does. More than 1/2 of the realestate on the XEDE's circuit board was designed (over 4 years ago) with this autolearning feature in mind. The addition of a wideband and knock signal are just small pieces of the pie. Being able to autotune fuel, timing and boost, with respect to fuel, timing and boost, realtime at every single engine event, is quite a bit different than the "Autotune" fueling feature a la autronic, aem, etc,.

shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 5, 2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 01:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Widebandphillip
Actually if you go to the innovative motorsports website, they actually made an exact cable just for the autronic 0-5v. Neato =)
No joke? Wow, when did this happen? Last time I spoke to any Autronic users they were telling me that the only way to go was to use Autronic's proprietary wideband, this is really cool. Sorry, a little OT.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

A little OT. Shiv, your rs50 vs my rs50. Bring it =)
Old Jun 5, 2005, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No matter what, I like hearing about new innovations, I didn't want the post earlier to come across as confrontational (At least I tried to post what I could while trying to not be) since I'm legitimately enthusiastic and curious about it.

I really am looking forward to hearing more about it since I've worked with products in the past that were intended to do something similar. (Not Evo or Subaru)