Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Would I need the Tuner if I get a UTEC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Would I need the Tuner if I get a UTEC?

If I get a UTEC, could would I still need to get the Tuner to log knock, or is using the factory knock sensor with the basic UTEC unit good enough for tuning?

I already have a wideband, so I hate to invest in the Tuner. Could I get the LM-1 wideband signal into the UTEC to log AFR with the rest of the sensor readings, or is that only possible with the TurboXS wideband?

Thanks.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Jun 10, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The UTEC logs the knock, the Tuner doesnt have a knock sensor, the tuner PRO does.. However most of the guys who have it aren't using the Tuner Pro knock sensor (I use the headphones and the pro knock sensor)

The Tuner's primary function is to log AFR's, and you do need to know your AFR's, Knock, Preferrably EGT's, and using an OBD-II Scanner, Fuel trims and a few other bits of info to tune the car yourself.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Oops...edited my original post while you were replying to my first one.

I already have an LM-1 wideband and an AEM MAP sensor, which I log with the Innovate LMA-2. I also have a Pocketlogger for monitoring fuel trims.

Would there be any way to get the AFR from the Innovate wideband and the MAP signal into the UTEC so that the datalog would be all unified, rather than having to look at separate datalogs side by side?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doubt it.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Subaru boys have a utility that does just what your looking for Rich. I believe it's dubbed "LMUTEC". I'd almost think it might work... I could have tested that tonight, but I didnt think about it...
Old Jun 11, 2005, 04:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Just thinking about it, I guess it wouldn't be that important to log the AFR along side the other data. I could easily tune the WOT AFR using datalogs from the LM1/LMA2 with conservative timing, and then turn to advancing timing gradually looking only at the UTEC logs. I've got a wideband gauge full-time in my car, so any significant effect on AFR caused by timing would be clear on the gauge even if I weren't datalogging AFR.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 07:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Oops...edited my original post while you were replying to my first one.

I already have an LM-1 wideband and an AEM MAP sensor, which I log with the Innovate LMA-2. I also have a Pocketlogger for monitoring fuel trims.

Would there be any way to get the AFR from the Innovate wideband and the MAP signal into the UTEC so that the datalog would be all unified, rather than having to look at separate datalogs side by side?

Thanks.
The simple answer is unfortunately no.. Both sample data at a different rate, and the protocol used by the tuner/utec connection appears to be proprietary.. At the moment you're stuck with matching data with common info, so your LM1 needs to log similar data to what the UTEC already does, but you'd be correlating TPS/RPM/Boost to a UTEC log to find the load sites to tune in.. I've actually been pretty proficient at doing stuff like that since the nature of my job is matching data sets and doing forensics but I can see how it can be frustrating and time consuming.

If you were a programmer, you could in theory read the data from the UTEC, and at the same time, read the data from the LM1, then add the data you need programmatically.. I actually do that with an OBD scantool and the UTEC/Tuner combo where I append Fuel trims, speed and one other parameter to my logs though I don't have any software at the moment that can use that data, the speed/RPM info can be used to determine the gear the car is in, and therefore puts me one step closer to having real-time road dyno info once I have the time to work on it.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Ah, see Justin found a tool that already does something like I suggested, only the format of the data output by the Subaru UTEC and the Evo UTEC is slightly different, so its possible it doesnt work.. If I had these other systems, I'd likely have already written tools for them to do that.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly i think i posted this a while back when i was getting one and the answer is no u dont need one but what did i end up doing like a week ago? getting one and i cant beleave i waited this long i reccomend getting one its definitly worth it....