Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

point me in the right direction for a logger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
point me in the right direction for a logger

I just purchased an SAFCII and I want to start my tuning. What should I go with a pocketlogger or wideband o2? Please let me hear your opinions, pros & cons of which tool to use and why.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

I started with a Innovate LM-1 and got my AFR pretty well set. With the Innovate I could not tell timing and all the other OBDII functions so I also bought a pocketlogger.

The best would be a wideband that datalogs timming and knock. Depends how much you want to spend?

A pocketlogger will also help you set your low throttle for your S-AFC.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

how is the sampling rates on the different loggers out there? I know of pocketlogger and palm n stein but thats it, any others?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

anymore input from people with loggers? After some research it seems I should be looking for something that monitors timing first then AF, so a WB 02 may not be the ideal setup.

I would like to hear some feed back from people with different kinds of loggers, what do you have, how do you like it (pros & cons) how much was it, ect...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
anymore input from people with loggers? After some research it seems I should be looking for something that monitors timing first then AF, so a WB 02 may not be the ideal setup.

I would like to hear some feed back from people with different kinds of loggers, what do you have, how do you like it (pros & cons) how much was it, ect...
I just use a pocketlogger. It cost me a combined $105 for the ODBII adapter, palm M100, and software. I wrote about it in other threads...can't remember which ones. It only reads narrowband, but I'm able to track rpm, o2, timing, and tps all at once, and I use these to tune pretty well. I concentrate more on timing than AFR...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also use a Pocket Logger. It logs many things such as throttle pos, fuel trims, narrowband o2 readings, rpm, timing, etc. You can get Pocket Logger for OBDII from http://www.pocketlogger.com for $125 I believe, and you'll need an older PDA to load the software to. I'm using a Palm IIIxe (cost me $30.) You can also use it to clear CELs that you might get while you're tuning.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I just use a pocketlogger. It cost me a combined $105 for the ODBII adapter, palm M100, and software. I wrote about it in other threads...can't remember which ones. It only reads narrowband, but I'm able to track rpm, o2, timing, and tps all at once, and I use these to tune pretty well. I concentrate more on timing than AFR...
Logging 4 at once is retarded. Your sampling rates suck that way and it is of little use. TPS is worthless. You should log lbs/min air, rpms & timing. Get a wideband or a tuning tool like the zeitronix.

I use the ZT2 for wideband o2, boost, rpm, lambda and egt. SAFC for knock count, MAF Hz, rpms. Logger for rpms and timing only to increase sampling rate to a useable range.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:12 AM

someone needs to make a decent logger for pocket pc damnit! I can't seem to find anything that is enthusiast oriented in the pocket pc realm.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Logging 4 at once is retarded. Your sampling rates suck that way and it is of little use. TPS is worthless. You should log lbs/min air, rpms & timing. Get a wideband or a tuning tool like the zeitronix.

I use the ZT2 for wideband o2, boost, rpm, lambda and egt. SAFC for knock count, MAF Hz, rpms. Logger for rpms and timing only to increase sampling rate to a useable range.
Then I'm retarded, oh well. I rely on TPS, because I don't always know when I'm at WOT, so the TPS reading tells me. I am not installing a wideband O2, sorry.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid

i was under the impression that the knock reading on the afc-II was inaccurate. i could be wrong though.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scherejs
i was under the impression that the knock reading on the afc-II was inaccurate. i could be wrong though.
Me too...What method is the most accurate?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Me too...What method is the most accurate?
You'd want to use something like the Knocklink: http://www.dpmotorsport.com/parts/knocklink/home.htm

Or as many people on this board do, use an OBDII datalogger to monitor ignition advance. By watching ignition advance you can see the RESULTS of knock rather then the knock itself. For the sake of simplicity, when the advance goes down it is indicating knock. Some OBDII dataloggers will also let you see knock counts within the ECU......
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
plx m500.

wireless data logging + wideband.

best one in the market at the cheapest price.

they do some amazing data logging, unlike other data loggers.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
plx m500.
Where can I get one?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
talk to cal from gruppe-s.

tell him plokivos sent you.