Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

PLEASE HELP me with my profec B spec II

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP me with my profec B spec II

Wassup

Ok, before anything else I have read tons of threads on how to tune the profec b spec II to get a nice steady boost level. I have written down other people's numbers and tried them, and I have read through the manual about 50 times.

I have been playing with mine for a while now and I cannot get the boost pressure to stay steady. The boost will jump to about 19-20 and then plummet to about 10. I read a bunch of threads about some little cap needing to be taken off, and I looked under my hood and I see two lines coming out of the boost controller but I dont see a 3 way splitter anywhere. I live in southern Cali and am trying to tune mine for pretty warm weather.

I have been changing the settings like crazy the last few days and this is what they currently are:

LO HI
set:33% set:62%
gain:15% gain:5%
set gain:90 set gain:140
warning:180 warning:230
limit:4% limit:4%

Now I thought I had a good idea about how this stupid thing works but I am totally confused now. I originally had my hi setting at 55%,34%,51,230,4%...This gave me almost 190 boost level but only in 5th gear all others like 110.

I am really confused about the set gain. I read that it is supposed to be 4% lower that your set value. Does that mean that if my set is 50% I make the set gain 46? Or is it supposed to be if I am aiming for 15psi I set it to 110?

If anyone can clue me in to what is going on I would REALLY appreciate it. If you are in the area I would buy you lunch.
I'm new to this forum and I havent had a chance to put up pics or anything. I'm not a big computer guy.

I have an 03' Rally Red evo with the HKS super mega flow intake, turbonettics hardpipe with MR bov, Greddy turbo timer + profec B spec II, and a custom 3"pipe from the cat running an APEXi N1 muffler. I also have an AEM EMS not put on the car yet.

Thanks for ANY help you guys can provide. I am killing myself trying to figure this out. My next step is to take it to the dyno and spend $150 an hour to get it dyno tuned to try and figure out the problem and would like to avoid that.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 06:33 AM

anyone??
Old Jul 14, 2005, 07:44 AM

I have hte Profec on my Eclipse.
I was able to get it stable in a few minutes.

Maybe your lines arent hooked up correctly.
How are they connected?
Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

The cap that people talk about is on the solenoid. You have the two lines coming out of it and there should be a 3rd hole that is open. Calling it a cap is deceiving, it is actually more of a plug. As far as the settings, they do the following:

SET: sets the wastegate duty cycle (controls boost)
GAIN: Adjusts the sensitivity (higher numbers reduce taper, but too high and the boost fluctuates)
SET GAIN: The boost level at which the boost controller starts controlling boost (setting too low slows spool, setting too high causes boost spikes)
WARNING: Boost level at which your SET is reduced by your LIMIT amount
LIMIT: The amount your SET is reduced when you hit your WARNING

Hope this helps you understand how it works.

-Paul
Old Jul 14, 2005, 05:38 PM

thanks guys for the feedback. pvd04, think i have a pretty good idea about what each setting is for but i am having a damn hard time getting stable numbers. I was playing with the settings some more and i got it stable through all gears at just under 18psi, which is getting closer to what i want. I guess I will have to just keep on and keep on playing with it.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give this set-up a shot

Set: 50%
Gain: 5%
Set Gain: 145
Warning: 230
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:59 AM

for some reason i have to set my gain higher than most people do in order to not get any spike. my set is at 62% and my gain is at 29% right now holding steady at almost 18psi. my set gain is at 55, but i bet that could go higher.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:56 PM

Have you fixed this issue yet?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:39 PM

nope i sure havent. i am still where i left off.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:40 PM

Lightbulb

I've got an aem ems and i am waiting on the money to get it dyno tuned now. i hope that will help.