Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Standalone Engine management and Emission/inspection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Standalone Engine management and Emission/inspection

Here's a general topic that I'm very curious about since my path of engine management was specifically decided because of this..

For you folks running a standalone engine management system (Irregardless of what brand) that eliminated your OBD-II functionality.

How are you dealing with the inspections of your car?

In NY State, OBD-II checks are required but very little else seems to matter much if you pass that OBD-II Check.

I have to assume most of you who have a standalone actually have a workaround, are in a state that doesnt require it, or don't have any emission inspections and are safety only.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i forgot you lived up here.. emissions wont happen here in pa without a friend to lick and stick.. nevermind my car... or staying under 5000 mi a year also exempts you in pa..
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure this applies in your state or surronding states, but here in WI there are some counties that do not have OBD-II or visual checks for emissions as they are too small.

All that is needed to do is register the car in that county & emissions is no-longer needed. Some people have used their same home address and listed the county & have had no-issues. Or you could get a PO Box address in a county & do it that way.