Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MBC or ABC with Utec

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBC or ABC with Utec

hey all i just wanted to know what is the big diff from a MBC or ABC with the utec. does ABC hold boost better or read it. or does ABC do somthing i have no clue maybe someone can though there 2 cents in. thanks
Old Jul 18, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

From what I hear it will be basically the same thing UNLESS you use different maps that change boost. IE Nitrous or Alcohol injection because if you change the map from say map 1 and your fuel and ignition are set and it is defined with a mbc set at like 22 psi. Then map 2 your fuel and ignition are set for like Alchy and to run at like 26 psi. You would need to change the map and before driving stop the car pull over and try to adjust the mbc to 26 psi to match the map well.

I use a mbc right now but I will eventually be going to Alchy and race fuel maps so I will need to change to that or an EBC to adjust in car.

Correct me if I am wrong someone.

M. Jack knows all so he will probabaly chime in.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My solution to get the performance of an MBC with the adjustability was to use a GM Boost solenoid, but you can control boost pretty well with the stock solenoid with the ABC installed, since the UTEC comes with it, and the install is easy, you should try it and see if the result is what your looking for.

The the only issue I had with the stock BCS with the ABC installed is the ABC shifts the boost level up by venting addition air, but it doesnt increase the range of adjustability. An MBC or the GM BCS gives you a range from wastegate pressure to "OH my god Overboost" which in some peoples opinion can be either good or bad.

I would start by installing the UTEC, and leaving the BCS alone and see how it works for you, then you can add the ABC very easily and remove the restrictor at the solenoid. Then if its not suitable, you can move up to something like the GM/Perrin BCS or an MBC since installation is a little more involved since it works a little differently than the stock boost system.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

alright but can you have the ABC and a MBC so say i can have the remote for 5maps and the MBC will be say set to 22psi so thats a safly for me. so i dont blow anything but say when i turn i can go crazy with out over boosting. or is this not going to work or is it just not worth it.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Not without using an aftermarket solenoid and somewhat complex routing, my original tests were using an MBC and a GM solenoid, the MBC set the max boost, and the solenoid let me run the level I wanted below that.. HOWEVER it was needlessly complex and I was able to get the same/better results by just working with the boost maps.

But the stock Boost system is a bleed system, and an MBC or EBC uses a restrictor type system, they both perform the same function by operating differently and generally you don't put the two together because you won't get the results you expect unless you pay very close attention to how everything is set up.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

so more or less you guys saying if i want to have the remote switch i should get the ABC and forget the MBC becasue its no need. becasue i want the remote so i can have say 1map no boost and then other map for race gas other for hot days and other for cold days. and so on.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1023
becasue i want the remote so i can have say 1map no boost and then other map for race gas other for hot days and other for cold days. and so on.
In that case, forget teh MBC. UTEC gives you all teh adjustability in BOOST MAPS. You can simply switch them around if you have a Map Switch. Hook it up and see if you see enough boost (it is usually about 21-23 psi max). Installing ABC let you bleed off more air to the solenoid, so it let you boost over 21-23 psi that your stock solenoid allows. Just use the UTEC Boost Map to tune down the boost after installing ABC. Most people installs ABC with 2-3 turns out.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

lol ok i then take it i just wasted money on the MBC i just got so i will then get the ABC from utec. becasue the utec does not come with one. lol
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

i would have liked to try the ABC but i got my utec used and it didnt come with it i have been running the mbc just fine would b nice to switch maps and have it switch the boost ...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Wow.. it didnt? Mine came with one.. If you bought it new, you should call them and ask..
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Won't this do both?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

thats cool but i think thats a MBC and can go from 18psi to 22psi on the fly not what looking for. looking for the ABC hey what does the TXS ABC look like anyhow. and where can i find it on there site i cant seem to find any ABC
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:22 PM
EvoM Guru

You'll have to call them, the ABC looks kinda like the top portion of that MBC, the blue knob portion only.. That is a combination MBC, it has two ball valve settings and a small bleed valve for fine tuning.. Not exactly what you need..
Old Jul 20, 2005, 04:17 PM

So would it be benificial for me to keep my Blitz EBC when I install the U-TEC
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tbizzy85
So would it be benificial for me to keep my Blitz EBC when I install the U-TEC
Nope. And I think Blitz EBC comes with a high performance solenoid too right? So I don't see a downside to it except:

1) You can't a different boost map to work with different fuel/timing map and switch between them with a push of a button.

2) You can't set a lower boost map to go with the Valet Mode.

Quick Reply: MBC or ABC with Utec