Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Power FC knock control question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power FC knock control question

So with the Commander you can detect if your engine is knocking correct? I saw a thread by BR saying the only down fall on the Power FC software is that it doesnt have a knock control in the unit? So if there is knock you cant control it...just only able to detect it correct?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek888
So with the Commander you can detect if your engine is knocking correct? I saw a thread by BR saying the only down fall on the Power FC software is that it doesnt have a knock control in the unit? So if there is knock you cant control it...just only able to detect it correct?
Right, it will monitor the stock knock sensor and display counts on the Commander unit, it will also flash the SES light I believe but you have no way to control it so if you are driving and pick up knock you will need to take care of it right away by retarding ign timing and or adding fuel yourself.

You would need to do this on the AEM as well but it will alteast pull back the ign timing and add fuel so you have a much much less chance in it cause engine problems. On a side note you can turn it off as well on the AEM but it can only help you.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

A great knock control is your right foot too

But seriously, it does start to rapidly flash the SES light if you get over 60 knock. At night time this is easy to detect, but not during the day.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 09:13 PM

depending on the ecu, meaning for different cars the SES light flash can be changed from 60 counts to however many you'd like, if you want to be on the safe side you can lower it to 25 or something.
The knock control/auto timing retard feature being able to be turned off is because some people dont want it to pull timing, some units pull timing where the user may not want it to. The threshold may be too low for them or they just want their straight map used and dont trust the feature.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karash
A great knock control is your right foot too

But seriously, it does start to rapidly flash the SES light if you get over 60 knock. At night time this is easy to detect, but not during the day.
my tuner told me when my Cel light goes on it means my injectors are at 100%.
I did couple of runs and I saw the light go on at redline and when I checked the the commander it did read 100% and my knock was at 5. My car isnt completely tuned yet, just used base map and commander to fine tune it some more for the meantime. Having some problems with my power fc syncing with this laptop. Is 5 knock normal?
Old Oct 22, 2005, 03:07 PM
j8
Evolving Member

The CEL light will come on if you reach 100% duty cycle on the injectors or if you hit over 60 on the knock count depending on where you have it set. 5 on knock is really nothing to worry about. If you go over 20 you may need to do some adjusting. Your best bet is to get it professional tuned on a dyno and then on the street. That way you can see exactly what is going on and the tuner can make the adjustments needed.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
my tuner told me when my Cel light goes on it means my injectors are at 100%.
I did couple of runs and I saw the light go on at redline and when I checked the the commander it did read 100% and my knock was at 5. My car isnt completely tuned yet, just used base map and commander to fine tune it some more for the meantime. Having some problems with my power fc syncing with this laptop. Is 5 knock normal?
its not at 100%, I believe it is set to 95% or 98%. Its a slower flashing light to easily distinguish between that and a Knock warning.