Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

The ECU+ now does OBD-II!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool The ECU+ now does OBD-II!

I've been working on this on and off for a while now, but the silver box ECU+ now has full support for the OBD-II diagnostic port on the 2nd gen DSMs and the EVO8!

[OBD-II is that diagnostic port that you hook up a PocketLOGGER or "code scanner" to.]

Check out the screenshots for some major-league coolness. (And it was some serious effort to get my car to generate that many trouble codes...) All of the dislays update continuously, giving you a real-time display of what the stock ECU thinks is going on. Some things to note in the screenshots:

- The ECU+ can see the fuel trims now, so it'll be way easier to tune for low load conditions.
- It can show and display all of the trouble codes, and includes the standard code explanation.
- It can, of course, clear any codes as well.
- It can also show "pending" trouble codes, which are when the stock ECU sees something that it doesn't like, but wants to see if the problem re-occurs before promoting the code to a "stored" one and turning on the check-engine light.
- It can also display freeze frame data, which is a snapshot of what the engine was doing when a code was thrown.

I should have a software release with this stuff in within a coupl'a weeks. I've got to finish up the Palm equivalent of what you see, update the manual, re-do the screenshots, etc. The software release will be, of course, be a free update for current customers. Silver box only, as the black box units don't have the right hardware to support this.

Future plans include real-time datalogging of the fuel trims, and maybe some work so you can force the stock ECU to run the Federally-mandated non-continuous engine tests (know ahead of time whether your car will pass emissions). There's also more trivia inside of the OBD-II spec that I may work on, like displaying the VIN and some of the O2 sensor statistics.

I think this is pretty rockin' (especially since it's free!). Hope y'all like it.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails The ECU+ now does OBD-II!-obdshot-200.jpg   The ECU+ now does OBD-II!-obdshot-201.jpg   The ECU+ now does OBD-II!-obdshot-202.jpg   The ECU+ now does OBD-II!-obdshot-203.jpg   The ECU+ now does OBD-II!-obdshot-204.jpg  

Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice Tom, I was wondering how this was coming along. Good stuff....
Old Nov 2, 2005, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have to say, that you have BY FAR the best customer support for ANY engine management system. Keep up the good work, just from what I've talked of ECU+ one of my best friends is buying one for his DSM.

Couple of other things and I'm going to have to call this the "perfect" setup.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

I'm keeping my eye on this.

Interesting stuff.

Keep up the good work!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

sounds great! but how do i get it to work off of my current ecu+? i have the silver box. do i just download the software online and run it off my computer or is it something that i have to load onto the ecu+? thanks for any help with this...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

It just keeps getting better! Awesome job Tom.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Ah, and more evolution with the ECU+. Good stuff, Tom. BTW, you're not trying to make me sell my XEDE, are you? Keep up the good work...you may have another convert on your hands some day.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet Tom, that is a good feature to have. Once again, just showing what the mad scientist can think of.

All of these additional features for the silver box, should really make everyone want to upgrade from the black box.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

damn this is only for the silver box?

:-( poopy

awesome features nonetheless.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom,

Excellent addition. This is one of the features I like about DSMLink that a lot of piggybacks didn't have. I think you may have sold me on this one.

The next nice-to-haves would be to have some adjustment over the injector deadtime to really be able to dial-in bigger injectors, since now you can see fuel trims.

BTW, does this mean that you can now log all of these features as you would log other parameters? For example, can you log fuel trims in a separate window where you would normally log something else, or do you have to use this OBDII section...sorry I have no experiece with the software, so I may not be explaining well enough.

Eric
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:10 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tom,
thank you for excellent addition features.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

A nice benfit to this is to see the freeze frame data around the P0300 code that alot of people are getting. You can find out when it is happening and maybe be able to solve the problem or at least work around it somehow.

Very nice work.

Brian
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:59 AM

Nice! Didn't even see this feature coming..
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
WHOA!
Tom, you have out done yourself, again!
I'll be waiting for the software upgrade.
Question: Does this need any kind of hardware plug/rewiring to the ODB-II plug under the steering wheel?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
I have to say, that you have BY FAR the best customer support for ANY engine management system. Keep up the good work, just from what I've talked of ECU+ one of my best friends is buying one for his DSM.
Thanks! I do my best for this one-man show.

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Question: Does this need any kind of hardware plug/rewiring to the ODB-II plug under the steering wheel?
No. In fact if you bought the PnP silver box (most EVO owners did), this is already pre-wired and ready to go when I get the software release ready. There's one jumper you have to move inside the silver box (open up the box, move the jumper, close the box) for existing customers. When I start shipping this software with new units, the box will be jumpered right from "the factory." (Note: the factory = my kitchen table!)

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
BTW, does this mean that you can now log all of these features as you would log other parameters? For example, can you log fuel trims in a separate window where you would normally log something else, or do you have to use this OBDII section...sorry I have no experiece with the software, so I may not be explaining well enough.
Right now you have to use the OBD screens to see this stuff, but I'll be modifying the software a bit later (there's some GUI changes) so you can datalog the fuel trims. Most of the other OBD-II real-time parameters are things I'm already logging.

Originally Posted by forum04pl
sounds great! but how do i get it to work off of my current ecu+? i have the silver box. do i just download the software online and run it off my computer or is it something that i have to load onto the ecu+? thanks for any help with this...
See above about a jumper, but beyond that I have a coupla simple software updates you have to install. They're like a minute each - no big deal.

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
damn this is only for the silver box?
Yea - the black box doesn't have the right hardware. Hmmm... almost like the guy who designed the silver box was planning on adding this feature, eh?

Tom

Quick Reply: The ECU+ now does OBD-II!