Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Why do WRXs have launch AND shift RPMs??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dryad001
Ohhhh I know the answer to this. It is because Txs forgot about us, when is the last time for a sti update? wrx? evo? Now why do they have a 350z utec? Money is made buy selling product not updates.

Thanks joey
The wrx just recieved an update in firmware. The evo and Sti will be next. Txs goes through alot of R+D time before releasing it, and makes sure it is ready for release. If they released a sub par update, you would then be complaining about them not taking enough time.

I am pretty excited to get the new evo firmware for my car, the wrx version has some nice additions.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave@Kingpin
The wrx just recieved an update in firmware. The evo and Sti will be next. Txs goes through alot of R+D time before releasing it, and makes sure it is ready for release. If they released a sub par update, you would then be complaining about them not taking enough time.

I am pretty excited to get the new evo firmware for my car, the wrx version has some nice additions.

When? This is the main answer that everyone's been wondering about, there is a thread somewhere looking a word from TXS with a very vauge response. Im suprised you guys dont ask us what we want and what we are looking for, maybe try some new ideas instead of giving us an update that will get rid of the cel light flashing during start-up, if these are poor updates that we are getting im out. Some of us begged for a blow-through system with no response. Some of us have chosen to go a different route including myself than to wait for updates.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Im trying to figure out why TurboXS allows WRXs have three rev limiters (Launch, Shift and overrev) but we only have 2. Please tell me that ours does have a speed input??
I had a UTEC on my WRX before and never heard of 3 launch stages. I heard of the launch control , I heard about builing boost(3-4psi) prior to launch the car but that is about it..
Old Nov 4, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad you didnt hear about it then I didnt just feel like making up a strange story about the updates Anyways, IF for some reason TurboXS does read this ever... You should really consider making the code open source so that people that care can actually make the updates for you. Some of these are not difficult to program but if someone is going to take the time reverse engineering your code, they would be better off doing it to the stock ECU. There are plenty of people that are willing to put in the time and effort into making this a better product. Please consider doing it, All it will do is help sell your product anyways, people will come out with more ideas and more updates which will make the item more attractive, also, the idea of people being able to write thier own updates would sell the product right there.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently I am forced to use the launch control wired to a momentary switch and I cut the top clutch wire. This meaning, I wired up a switch that when I push it, the UTEC thinks I push in the clutch, activating the launch control. When I shift, I need a much higher RPM limit (Otherwise the car will bog between shifts) but it sucks because it is the same as my over rev limit and trapping at over 123 mph means I am pretty far into the red line through the traps therefore I need it set pretty high. The other problem is the speed at which my rpms fly while floored while shifting. The rev limiter has a soft cut and a hard cut. By the time the hard cut hits it is well above the softcut limit... so say I set the limit at 8k. My car will start to cut out at 8k (So while in gear I can not pass through the traps without hitting it) but when I shift, it is too fast and will climb to around 8.5k before it hits the hard cut. Revving my stock motor/head that high worries me.

so if the wrx has the ability to do when flat foot shifting y wouldnt they make it possible to do it on the evo?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:52 PM
Account Disabled

Yea I think people could truly make the UTEC the best EM out for the money.

PS I can't wait for the new firmware.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Too bad you didnt hear about it then I didnt just feel like making up a strange story about the updates Anyways, IF for some reason TurboXS does read this ever... You should really consider making the code open source so that people that care can actually make the updates for you. Some of these are not difficult to program but if someone is going to take the time reverse engineering your code, they would be better off doing it to the stock ECU. There are plenty of people that are willing to put in the time and effort into making this a better product. Please consider doing it, All it will do is help sell your product anyways, people will come out with more ideas and more updates which will make the item more attractive, also, the idea of people being able to write thier own updates would sell the product right there.
That's actually a very good idea.