Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Smokedmustang Video of Launch Control, sidepipe!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Smokedmustang Video of Launch Control, sidepipe!

Here are a couple videos, sidepipe closed/sidepipe open/ Launch control.

As some of you already know, the pipe is open/closed from inside the car (electric dump). The popping sound is what I usually hear as the "bobble" at high RPM, anyone know what it is? The launch control is cool, but I dont get good launch because of the popping sound. The kit is the Alkycontrol (AMS type), and the knobs are set as following.

Blue knob 12 o'clock
Turnon at 11 o'clock (1st white on the left)
Initial at 12:30 (2nd white knob to the right)

The car has BRAND NEW plugs, the cooler plugs as recommended, gapped to .030, I am running 100% Methanol (VP), and this is just a STREET Tune, not yet strapped down at Dyno4mance for an official "tune".

Could the methanol be the culprit, or do you think my Coils are going south? I just had the HKS TWIN POWER (DSLII?) installed recently also.

I did get this pop-pop before, but it was always remedied with a plug change, not so this time.

Also when the launch control is on, and the car is just sitting there rev happy, the meth pump light is on, so I assume it is squirting slightly before I let go of the clutch. Any input would be appreciated. I think it is Just a TUNE I need. Agree?
The videos are comming SHORTLY, be patient, and thanks ACCOLADE!!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont see any videos
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

were are the videos
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.dcwebproductions.net/03bbyevo/takeoff1.wmv
http://www.dcwebproductions.net/03bbyevo/takeoff2.wmv
http://www.dcwebproductions.net/03bbyevo/takeoff3.wmv
http://www.dcwebproductions.net/03bbyevo/quickturn.wmv

HERE ARE THE VIDS

Last edited by TeamAccolade; Nov 12, 2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

cant see them, I need to get my DSL hooked up on monday, my dial up is tooo slow!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Is that thing miss-firing, or what?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
cant see them, I need to get my DSL hooked up on monday, my dial up is tooo slow!
You still have dial up and don't know how to use the smileys! DSL is decent for the download on these.....I didn't want to take too much away from the beautiful camera work! (thanks for uploading Dan)
You already know what I know about the popping sound.....NOTHING! Hopefully Jeff can tune it for you and that is all that the problem is. Anyone else have an idea???
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

I just watched all the vids again.....sounds like the popping sound is a little bit more nasty when using the launch control. Normal takeoffs don't sound as bad.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Kev,

You need to gap the plugs down little by little to see where your car likes the gap to be at. My car like .28 and my friends with the DLI likes .30. So experiment with the gap, as you are getting spark blow out.

Luis

Here are a couple videos, sidepipe closed/sidepipe open/ Launch control.

As some of you already know, the pipe is open/closed from inside the car (electric dump). The popping sound is what I usually hear as the "bobble" at high RPM, anyone know what it is? The launch control is cool, but I dont get good launch because of the popping sound. The kit is the Alkycontrol (AMS type), and the knobs are set as following.

Blue knob 12 o'clock
Turnon at 11 o'clock (1st white on the left)
Initial at 12:30 (2nd white knob to the right)

The car has BRAND NEW plugs, the cooler plugs as recommended, gapped to .030, I am running 100% Methanol (VP), and this is just a STREET Tune, not yet strapped down at Dyno4mance for an official "tune".

Could the methanol be the culprit, or do you think my Coils are going south? I just had the HKS TWIN POWER (DSLII?) installed recently also.

I did get this pop-pop before, but it was always remedied with a plug change, not so this time.

Also when the launch control is on, and the car is just sitting there rev happy, the meth pump light is on, so I assume it is squirting slightly before I let go of the clutch. Any input would be appreciated. I think it is Just a TUNE I need. Agree?
The videos are comming SHORTLY, be patient, and thanks ACCOLADE!!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

My evo also used to make the same popping sound whenever it reaches the redline. At that time all i ever had was a TBE with a test delete pipe and a drop in air filter. It was also awezome at night since it shoots flame through the pipes. It definitely scares the heck out of those who follow me. . A good tune will fix it since i think it just messes up the air/fuel ratio.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Here is something to ponder:

I hooked up the wires, as indicated in the sticky. and assumed that was it! I didn't go to the XEDE map and change or ENABLE anything!! Was the launch control actually ENABLED? or were you watching me seconds from a huge explosion? Was I just sitting there bouncing off the rev. limiter? If so, do I get the Darwin award for this? who has the answer to this question? did I have to activate the launch control thru the XEDE? or was the re-wiring enough to ENABLE it? I believe the revs were a "tad" high 8k?, but that was a quick glance. Car runs fine, no issues, but I wont do it again, till I know the answer to this Question!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I only did the launch control (OR flitring with disaster) 5 times. Not hard launches either.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

It has been confirmed, the video is NOT of Launch control, just me hitting, bouncing off the Rev limiter. Willl post video of what it SHOULD look like tomorrow! I am retarted, i am reterted!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

It has been confirmed, the video is NOT of Launch control, just me hitting, bouncing off the Rev limiter. Willl post video of what it SHOULD look like tomorrow! I am retarted, i am reterted!
DOH!!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Eclipse2Lancer
DOH!!
That was the smile I was looking for! I will have the issue corrected, and I will be by to pick you and your camera up tomorrow PM, stand by E2L!!!

Quick Reply: Smokedmustang Video of Launch Control, sidepipe!