Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Which EMS should i use?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which EMS should i use?

Ok, i'm having a hard time deciding on a engine management system. I know there arn't any IX systems out yet so just base your suggestions on the 8. The EMS must be capable of converting over from a MAF to MAP system (and i mean a fully funtional MAP system, not a simulator). Second, if must have selectable maps, perferrably 3 but 2 is ok. It must be able to control boost (like the AEM with a GM solonoid). It would be a plus if it supported OBDII. Lastly, i'm going to be tuning this evo for track competition + daily driving, no draging or such so i don't know how much of an impact that can make on choices but from what i've seen here, most of you guys just run 1/4s which is not in my agenda so i'm assuming a majority of EMS system might be biased towards drag instead of track (can't think of any differences in ECU that would specifically make it for drag or track but just covering my bases here). Money is no problem. My main choices where AEM, MoTec, and i just recently started looking into Turbo XS. Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

The AEM was my only choice..........but it doesn't have obd II,I suggest using a 3.5 map or a 5 if you can.I don't know about selectable maps haven't gotten that far yet.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ballistic speed
Ok, i'm having a hard time deciding on a engine management system. I know there arn't any IX systems out yet so just base your suggestions on the 8. The EMS must be capable of converting over from a MAF to MAP system (and i mean a fully funtional MAP system, not a simulator). Second, if must have selectable maps, perferrably 3 but 2 is ok. It must be able to control boost (like the AEM with a GM solonoid). It would be a plus if it supported OBDII. Lastly, i'm going to be tuning this evo for track competition + daily driving, no draging or such so i don't know how much of an impact that can make on choices but from what i've seen here, most of you guys just run 1/4s which is not in my agenda so i'm assuming a majority of EMS system might be biased towards drag instead of track (can't think of any differences in ECU that would specifically make it for drag or track but just covering my bases here). Money is no problem. My main choices where AEM, MoTec, and i just recently started looking into Turbo XS. Thanks
Well i believe what you mean by "MAP system" is called speed density, which only most standalone EMS's can do, so you would have to rule out all other piggy backs. im not sure what you mean by 'Simulator" b/c as far as im concerned if your remove the MAF you have to either get a Maf translator Pro or dump the stock ECU. And 3rd it sounds like you dont even own a Evo and you have NO idea what your getting yourself into with EMS setups.....do the research
Old Nov 19, 2005, 09:23 AM
RS2
Evolving Member

http://www.motec.com.au/what.htm
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

A MAP system is Manifold air pressure system + speed density, and a Maf Trans Pro, is a type of MAP Simulator that give off MAF reading based on sensors other than MAF, usually some MAP sensors and speed and load sensors, neways thanks for you help, i really don't know too much right now so thanks for not flaming
Originally Posted by Nez136
Well i believe what you mean by "MAP system" is called speed density, which only most standalone EMS's can do, so you would have to rule out all other piggy backs. im not sure what you mean by 'Simulator" b/c as far as im concerned if your remove the MAF you have to either get a Maf translator Pro or dump the stock ECU. And 3rd it sounds like you dont even own a Evo and you have NO idea what your getting yourself into with EMS setups.....do the research
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:12 AM

either Motec or AEM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Aem
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
money no problem, prolly a motec
bang for buck, hydra