Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

WORKS Brain Flash P2

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinOne05
Jamie, I have the P2R flash and DP, HFC, Cat-Back exhaust and want to get the 269 cams/springs retainers. What happens when I need to pass smog? If I change my cams back to stock cams can u flash me back to stock for smog and then back to P2R when I'm done free of charge?
We've had our TR-340 kit (with the 269 cams) pass smog on numerous occassions. Not only in our "unofficial" testing, but also when customers have sold their vehicles. They've reported back to us that they were a little hesitant, but all was well once it came down to the sniffer

However, if you went through the troubles of swapping cams, etc... we could load the original OEM flash back onto your ECU prior to the smog test and then reload the WORKS Brain Flash software afterwards. Typically, there's a small fee ($49) to do so.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
We've had our TR-340 kit (with the 269 cams) pass smog on numerous occassions. Not only in our "unofficial" testing, but also when customers have sold their vehicles. They've reported back to us that they were a little hesitant, but all was well once it came down to the sniffer

However, if you went through the troubles of swapping cams, etc... we could load the original OEM flash back onto your ECU prior to the smog test and then reload the WORKS Brain Flash software afterwards. Typically, there's a small fee ($49) to do so.

That great news, now to just save up some greenbacks!!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:06 AM

so what ive gathered about the works p2r flash is that i send them my ecu, they flash it according to my mods and then send it back to me correct? and then i will have a car that holds boost to redline, and has a higher rpm to launch at, and more power obviously.... assuming my only mod is a drop in filter, do i need anything else to go with this flash ( i.e boost guage, mbc, etc...)... and for 700$$ between a drop in and the flash, how much power do you guys think i can really get outta this?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:34 AM

I got my flash when my car was bone stock and the difference was pretty significant. Holding boost to redline makes all the difference. Over time I upgraded to full exhaust and things got better and better. I have been running this since 600 miles and I got 13K now, no pinging no weird problems. The 6K launch rpm toasted my clutch in 3k miles, but it jumps out of hole!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

I have a question about octane rating and it's relation to the P2 flash. I'm in California and had my Evo IX flashed with the P2. Recently, a gas station was put up that sells 100 octane so I'm wondering if I should have my ECU reflashed again to take advantage of the higher octane level? How much approximate horsepower increase will be seen? Works?

Last edited by xtremeIX; Jan 10, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by xtremeIX
I have a question about octane rating and it's relation to the P2 flash. I'm in California and had my Evo IX flashed with the P2. Recently, a gas station was put up that sells 100 octane so I'm wondering if I should have my ECU reflashed again to take advantage of the higher octane level? How much approximate horsepower increase will be seen? Works?
Unless you're planning on running 100+ octane all the time, I wouldn't recommend adjusting the tune for it. Even if you mix the 100 in to bump the octane number and alter the flash to 93 octane, you're still likely to encounter straight 91 if you venture away from your local station. Either situation would be unfavorable. However, as a rule of thumb you could get around 5HP on 93 octane and probably >20HP for 100+ fuel.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

I found this quote below regarding octane ratings and changing a map from 91 to 93...

DavidV@WORKS
A car optimized for 93 octane can be safely run on 91 when required, but would not be making its full power potential and should not be driven as aggressively
So, according to what you said, you're telling me in the quote above a mere 5 horsepower was being discussed as the "full power potential"? Also, if you look through the thread where I found the quote (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27912) you'll see there was an 18 horsepower difference stated by Daveyd when comparing a dyno run on 93 vs 91 octane?

So two questions...One, David says it's okay to run a 93 flash with 91 gas providing you keep your foot out of it and you don't agree?

Two, is it 5 horsepower when you change from 91 to 93, or around 18 horsepower?

Last edited by xtremeIX; Jan 11, 2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by xtremeIX
I found this quote below regarding octane ratings and changing a map from 91 to 93...

So, according to what you said, you're telling me in the quote above a mere 5 horsepower was being discussed as the "full power potential"? Also, if you look through the thread where I found the quote (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27912) you'll see there was an 18 horsepower difference stated by Daveyd when comparing a dyno run on 93 vs 91 octane?

So two questions...One, David says it's okay to run a 93 flash with 91 gas providing you keep your foot out of it and you don't agree?

Two, is it 5 horsepower when you change from 91 to 93, or around 18 horsepower?

I do agree with David's statement on this matter. He follows up that it should not be driven at full-bore and that is the key. By running with low throttle inputs, the upper load maps shouldn't be encountered in this situation and the ECU can still keep things in check. It can be done however. In fact, we were curious as to how far the ECU could take this. To test things out, we flashed a 100 octane tune onto one of our cars (with 100 octane fuel in the tank) and went out for some logged runs. We then mixed in 91 octane for an estimate 95 octane mix and did the same. Finally, we dumped the mix and went to straight 91 octane pump gas and did some logging. With nothing done to the flash between (full throttle, 3rd gear) runs, the ECU was able to compensate for the octane variation and adjust fuel, timing, etc.. to keep things relatively safe. Keep in mind that this is short-term testing and not something that we've proven to hold up in the long-term. So, in theory, you can get away with a 93 octane flash while using 91 octane in the short term (and possibly longer). However, I feel it's much better to flash for the octane being used and not have to depend on the ECU's safety features.

As far as the power output variations, we always estimate on the low side. (Our TR-303/340 packages represent a minimum output of 303HP/340HP with numerous cars excedeing these outputs.) So, with a quoted variation of 5HP being "official" it is possible to have an "unofficial" variation of 18HP. Also keep in mind these are results from '03/'04 models and variation in the '06 model year is probably higher.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks WORKS. You know, I tried putting some race gas (104 octane) in my Evo yesterday making 95 octane by mixing and I took it out to an open roadway. Maybe it's just me wishing but it felt like the car was faster after about 3 runs. My brother was following "behind me" in his 1971 Chevy Nova and said he saw a blue flame outside my exhaust....!! Is there a way to do that on command!?!?!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Account Disabled

The rich condition caused by the high octane fuel coupled with your test pipe allowed unspent fuel to combust inside your exhaust pipe and exit through the tip. On command is possible (I suppose), but would involve that 104 fuel
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

You know, I hate to give the Neon SRT-4 any praise but their idea on octane variation is pretty cool. They have a switch they can flip when using 100 octane gasoline (part of their turbo toys). Too bad we can't do this with Evo's....or have I just not seen it?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DONKie
evar here of the exede from Shiv Vishnu?
Let me clarify, I'm attempting to find out if WORKS has, or has plans to make a device like what I described.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by FastAzzEvo
The car does not accelerate until it is warmed probably because the same as a vtec engine.. The mivec probably runs on oil pressure and needs to be a certain temp for that to operate.
According to my gauge, the oil pressure is actually consistently higher during this warm-up period...around 100 psi. After that, it peaks to the same pressure, but it fall back to 50-60 psi when I let off of the gas.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by burchdc
According to my gauge, the oil pressure is actually consistently higher during this warm-up period...around 100 psi. After that, it peaks to the same pressure, but it fall back to 50-60 psi when I let off of the gas.
There is a setting that specifies at what water temp the car will have to be at before it runs full boost. On both EVO 8's and 9's its 85c (185f)

This is the reason why the car feels slower if it is run cold. Which btw, you should not make a habit of doing.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Has WORKS developed any sort of eflash capabilities?? I have modded quite a bit since receiving my first Flash (P2R).... So, basically, since alot of vendors with ECU flash products that can be done remotely I thought WORKS might jump on board.. any info would be great.. thanks.. mike

Quick Reply: WORKS Brain Flash P2