Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Car doesnt run after install... Help please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car doesnt run after install... Help please

ok so this is the short story. I installed a new transmission and clutch and whatnot. I removed the Evap stuff and both bumpers and installed the MAFT Pro (Alongside with the Utec). When I fired the car it sorta ran on its own surging from 1k-2.2k. After it warmed up a bit the car started to want to die so I helped it with the throttle. It got to the point where it would die without 20-30% throttle. All of the parameters were set per the instructions and I can see all the variables and they seem to be correct (Aside from the AFR... for some reason it isnt reading the Zietronix wideband.. i have it set to number 5 which should be for the Zietronix unit but it still doesnt read anything at all). I am stuck at work now and I will be here until Thursday but on Thursday I will unplug the MAFT Pro and put the MAF back in it and see if the car runs like that and I am assuming it will. I can not seem to figure out why this is happening though... the hertz values it is sending out 'seem' to be correct.

The cars symptoms are it wont idle on its own, with me holdling the throttle it still surges alot. If I try to move the car if surges very hard and backfires and stuff and the AFRs are around 10:1 when cruising and I can not seem to get them much higher through the UTEC. I have no idea on whats wrong with the car. Any help would be appreciated. I just dont understand how much people just plug it in and it works but mine doesnt at all.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
ok so this is the short story. I installed a new transmission and clutch and whatnot. I removed the Evap stuff and both bumpers and installed the MAFT Pro (Alongside with the Utec). When I fired the car it sorta ran on its own surging from 1k-2.2k. After it warmed up a bit the car started to want to die so I helped it with the throttle. It got to the point where it would die without 20-30% throttle. All of the parameters were set per the instructions and I can see all the variables and they seem to be correct (Aside from the AFR... for some reason it isnt reading the Zietronix wideband.. i have it set to number 5 which should be for the Zietronix unit but it still doesnt read anything at all). I am stuck at work now and I will be here until Thursday but on Thursday I will unplug the MAFT Pro and put the MAF back in it and see if the car runs like that and I am assuming it will. I can not seem to figure out why this is happening though... the hertz values it is sending out 'seem' to be correct.

The cars symptoms are it wont idle on its own, with me holdling the throttle it still surges alot. If I try to move the car if surges very hard and backfires and stuff and the AFRs are around 10:1 when cruising and I can not seem to get them much higher through the UTEC. I have no idea on whats wrong with the car. Any help would be appreciated. I just dont understand how much people just plug it in and it works but mine doesnt at all.
you may be having a conflict between utec and maftpro involving the scaling of your injectors. I would disconnect the utec for now, and scale the injectors in the maftpro. Once you get the car running properly on the maftpro hook the UTEC up and adjust from there. Not sure how target AFR etc will work with UTEC however.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well I tried switched to the stock MAP on the Utec and it still didnt change anything. With the UTEC on map zero it should just be a passthrough device with no parameters. How do I scale the injectors on the MAFT Pro?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well I tried switched to the stock MAP on the Utec and it still didnt change anything. With the UTEC on map zero it should just be a passthrough device with no parameters. How do I scale the injectors on the MAFT Pro?
UTEC won't run on map 0 with upgraded injectors. You need to adjust the Mainscale percentage in MAFTpro. It is found under Setup menu. Stock injectors are 550's so if you have 720's just adjust by the percentage difference.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

BTW

Example of finding mainscale for people who suck at math

550/720 = .76

.76 - 1 = .24

%24
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

I know the UTEC wont run properly without injector comp but I just dont see why it would run the exact same in either map. I figured by setting the Utec to stock I might be able to use the MAFT Pro to start to fix itself. But in any rate, with the UTEC adjusting for the injectors the MAFT Pro shouldnt need to or vica versa. hrmph... I guess I will first try to put the stock ECU back in and reconnect the airflow wire and see if it runs... if it does I at least know all I need to do is tweak the MAFT Pro...

I think my biggest problems are the mods on the damned car. It never really idled well before and now I am throwing another interpreter on it which I think is just confusing it to hell. The intake manifold is one of the big things I think may be throwing the VE table way off also.

And sorry for the questions but also whats with the AFR thing? I have it hooked up to the analog out from the Zietronix into the O2 input on the MAFT Pro. I have the MAFT Pro set to 5 (Which is zeitronix).

And by adjust it by the percent you mean since I have 750cc and the stockers are 550 I should adjust it about 26.67% up? Or do I do it down since the injectors are bigger?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Also, are there instructions online somewhere? I would like to research some of the functions without driving back to the car which is 45 minutes away right now.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Also, are there instructions online somewhere? I would like to research some of the functions without driving back to the car which is 45 minutes away right now.
http://www.maftpro.com/info.shtml
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I know the UTEC wont run properly without injector comp but I just dont see why it would run the exact same in either map. I figured by setting the Utec to stock I might be able to use the MAFT Pro to start to fix itself. But in any rate, with the UTEC adjusting for the injectors the MAFT Pro shouldnt need to or vica versa. hrmph... I guess I will first try to put the stock ECU back in and reconnect the airflow wire and see if it runs... if it does I at least know all I need to do is tweak the MAFT Pro...

I think my biggest problems are the mods on the damned car. It never really idled well before and now I am throwing another interpreter on it which I think is just confusing it to hell. The intake manifold is one of the big things I think may be throwing the VE table way off also.

And sorry for the questions but also whats with the AFR thing? I have it hooked up to the analog out from the Zietronix into the O2 input on the MAFT Pro. I have the MAFT Pro set to 5 (Which is zeitronix).

And by adjust it by the percent you mean since I have 750cc and the stockers are 550 I should adjust it about 26.67% up? Or do I do it down since the injectors are bigger?
Fixing the idle with MAFTpro is fairly easy. If you have a scanner that can read the ECU fuel trims its even easier. Adjust your low setting between 800-1600 RPM until the AFR stays close to 14.7. If your able to view your ECU fuel trims you want the short term fuel trim to be between -5 and 0.

Also some quick tips to tune tip-in. Go to the Tune Response section. You will only use TPS Decay and TPS Enrichment. You can 0 out the other settings. Decay is what keeps the car from the RPM dropping to quickly. The higher the value the slower the RPM will drop down when you blip the throttle. TPS Enrich will just add some fuel after you let off the throttle. First play with the decay until you feel comfertable on quickly the RPM dips then use enrichment to remove the slow response.

Two reasons a MAFTpro will use a wideband is for logging and the AFR tracking feature. AFR tracking will try to keep the car at you desired AFR at WOT. I have never hooked up a Zietronix but maybe the output cable is connected incorrect. I think TTP or Bob can troubleshoot that with you.

Mainscale: adjusts the entire range by the same %

I have stock injectors so I have not played with the settings. I am going to assume it will have to negative value.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

TPS enrich and decay is what makes this so much more superior to UTEC IMO.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

I do have a scanner and could see the fuel trims but fixing the idle is only going to get it to idle The whole car just plain off doesnt run for crap. I am thinking perhaps the mainscale is needed to actually feed the ECU some usable numbers but I dunno. The other thing is my VE Tables are going to be WAY off considering my intake manifold and cams and whatnot. Ill disconnect it and throw in the stock MAF just to see if everything else is working fine. After that I guess I will try to use the MAFT Pro again. It just boggles me on how everyone elses car runs decent it just isnt perfect. Mine just doesnt run.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

I do have a scanner and could see the fuel trims but fixing the idle is only going to get it to idle The whole car just plain off doesnt run for crap. I am thinking perhaps the mainscale is needed to actually feed the ECU some usable numbers but I dunno. The other thing is my VE Tables are going to be WAY off considering my intake manifold and cams and whatnot. Ill disconnect it and throw in the stock MAF just to see if everything else is working fine. After that I guess I will try to use the MAFT Pro again. It just boggles me on how everyone elses car runs decent it just isnt perfect. Mine just doesnt run.
If you need more advanced support contact TurboBob. I am sure he'll provide you with some phone based support.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

For scaleing the injectors you would need to enter a negative value. Plus your car is running WAY too rich. That could be the cause of the bucking
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to throw a non-tuning wrench in the mix but the symptoms you describe sound like a vacuum leak. Are you sure you capped off any vacuum ports you are not using now with the removal of the emissions stuff?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well two things... the biggest is it shouldnt matter. The car runs speed density now, hence, unless it is leaking from the intake manifold it shouldnt matter. It measures the air at the intake manny and its not leaking I was running it with no MAF and no intake (Just the turbo). And I installed the intake manny well before which would have capped off the line going to the evap stuff anyways (via the EGR). I will have some time tomorrow night to screw with it so Ill give it a try and if it doesnt get easier quickly I will just switch back to the maf and see if the car runs.

The other problem is it is -5* F here Cant help much and it makes it less than desirable to work on it.

Quick Reply: Car doesnt run after install... Help please