Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Anti-lag Setup with MSD-DIS2

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anti-lag Setup with MSD-DIS2

I have a MSD-DIS2 and I am capable of retarding timing up to 30 degrees. I have a 6k rev limiter for launching and I have removed about 20 degrees. I got some nice results aka fireballs and people running for their lives oh and of course a noticeable boost increase . Is there a problem with taking to much timing out? I know that anti-lag in general will break stuff (turbos, manifolds, exhausts, etc..) but is there a point where you are removing to much timing? I also would like to setup a switch to work with the clutch pedal switch so when I shift it'll retard 20 degree's as well. Would this be a good idea with the MSD?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeymia
I have a MSD-DIS2 and I am capable of retarding timing up to 30 degrees. I have a 6k rev limiter for launching and I have removed about 20 degrees. I got some nice results aka fireballs and people running for their lives oh and of course a noticeable boost increase . Is there a problem with taking to much timing out? I know that anti-lag in general will break stuff (turbos, manifolds, exhausts, etc..) but is there a point where you are removing to much timing? I also would like to setup a switch to work with the clutch pedal switch so when I shift it'll retard 20 degree's as well. Would this be a good idea with the MSD?
When your pistons melt down and/or your turbine wheel splinters apart...you'll know.

I wouldn't go over 20 degree retard.

Disclaimer: This does not mean I'm saying 20 degrees or less retard is okay, because I'm not. I'm just saying I wouldn't go over 20

Watch your EGTs with a good gauge and probe!

-Mike
Old Dec 21, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I did allot of testing with different timing retards. I found that anything over 10 degrees will not work. The car will be so rich off the line that it just bogs. It does spike over 15lbs and sounds cool. I am retarding about 7 degrees at 6000 rpm which builds about 10-14lbs.

How do you handle the extremely rich condition produced by antilag? I know its pretty useless on a stock turbo off the line but I am just curious.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

When I tune anti-lag it's via a standalone engine management such as AEM EMS, so I tune fueling accordingly. I use differing amounts of fuel depending on how much "help" the turbo needs to get it to my target boost level.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

http://72.41.83.159/video/msd-ignition-retard.wmv

I found the problem with the rich condition. I had the MAFTpro's AFR tracking option on. When it detected that the "lean" condition from all the un burnt fuel it would try to correct it by adding more fuel. So i would end up with a ton of gas when I tried to take off the line and just end up with a bog.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:58 PM

Hi there;
There are many of tunning the ALS, GEMS has the ECU with fuel and ignition cutting apart of the normal way. You will always need retard to make the engine like a jet engine and make the turbo spool.
I work with rally GrN Cars. This class has a 32 mm restictor and ALS is a must.
You may have a total retard of 27º, but you need to find a way to put in freash air to the engine so you can build boost. Take care of EGT no more than 950ºC on a peak.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by peru evo
Hi there;
There are many of tunning the ALS, GEMS has the ECU with fuel and ignition cutting apart of the normal way. You will always need retard to make the engine like a jet engine and make the turbo spool.
I work with rally GrN Cars. This class has a 32 mm restictor and ALS is a must.
You may have a total retard of 27º, but you need to find a way to put in freash air to the engine so you can build boost. Take care of EGT no more than 950ºC on a peak.
dont worry go to 1100C :-) but only for 10h of driving :-))))
Old Jan 9, 2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by evorent
dont worry go to 1100C :-) but only for 10h of driving :-))))
If you have th budget to change Turbos in every service. you can have peaks of 1100C, No problem!!!