Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Can I use the MAFT to simply measure airflow?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use the MAFT to simply measure airflow?

Ok, I agree that using the MAFTpro to simply log the amount of air going into my engine is overkill, but ...

- can it be done? I'm guessing yes
- and what components would I need to do it? (MAFTpro - or maybe just a plain MAFT , air temp, MAP sensor ... ?)

l8r)
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

why are yo so interested in calculating airflow?
Old Dec 21, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Because knowing how much / how well my engine is flowing air will allow me to make more informed decisions when choosing cams/turbo/intake manifold. Let's just say that I am not quite happy with my power curve right now, even though it has been shown to be flatter than similar setups (AMS 3071).

l8r)
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

You could use the Pro to datalog the car, even if you are not controlling the engine with it.

You could log:
Boost
Throttle
RPM
Wideband AF ratio
EGT
Manifold Air Temperature
Airflow

Bob
Old Dec 21, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

excellent, thanks. I assume that TTP will be able to guide me in what parts I need to do the logging (already have an LC-1).

l8r)
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
excellent, thanks. I assume that TTP will be able to guide me in what parts I need to do the logging (already have an LC-1).

l8r)
Why not just use a SAFC + Palm datalogger to measure lbs.-min/cfm?

I would love to sell you a MAFTPro, but honestly, it is a big waste of application for such a feature filled unit, just to use it to look at data that you can obtain for cheaper.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I already run a XEDE and I do not want to hook up any other device to the stock MAF. So unless I can hook up an SAFC using a separate MAP sensor, I don't think it'll be an option. Also, doesn't an SAFC-II run about $300? At that point I'd rather get the MAFTpro...

Right now I'm in the process of looking at different potential solutions (one of them being the MAFTpro and another being the auterra scantool). To get an idea of how much a MAFTpro setup would cost, which components would I need to get in order to measure airflow?

l8r)
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I already run a XEDE and I do not want to hook up any other device to the stock MAF. So unless I can hook up an SAFC using a separate MAP sensor, I don't think it'll be an option. Also, doesn't an SAFC-II run about $300? At that point I'd rather get the MAFTpro...

Right now I'm in the process of looking at different potential solutions (one of them being the MAFTpro and another being the auterra scantool). To get an idea of how much a MAFTpro setup would cost, which components would I need to get in order to measure airflow?

l8r)
I still don't understand what you are trying to do. Why would you hook up a fuel controller to try to measure airflow? Would you install an AEM standalone just to monitor injector pulsewidth?

I have a feeling you think the MAFTPro is some kind of diagnostic tool, which it is not. It is an advanced fuel, boost controller with map switching and allows you to REMOVE the maf altogether. It would REPLACE the XEDE, not be used to measure something.

You could log:
Boost
Throttle
RPM
Wideband AF ratio
EGT
Manifold Air Temperature
Airflow
You have to tap the MAF input line to the ECU from the stock maf (which is whwat you said ou did not want to do) which would tell you the same thing an AFC would. MAF HZ. I am not familiar with XEDE, but I would assume it already tells you MAF HZ.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Dec 22, 2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

I thought that the MAFTpro can also run using a MAP sensor, no? So couldn't I run a MAP sensor separately_from / in_addition_to the MAF? That way I don't have to mess with my current setup and I run the MAFTpro only to log, not to manage.

MAF Hz doesn't really tell me the volume of air flowing ... to calculate the volume, I also need air temperature and barometric pressure, which is something the XEDE does not log. Maybe the auterra software can log the values from the ECU, but I have not found anything to confirm that (esp. not on an Evo).

l8r)
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

why not just use an ODBII datalogger like this one: http://www.auterraweb.com/
I have it. It reads air flow in lbs/min. It also logs many other things including timing, air temp, rpms, throttle poss., speed, fuel trim, reads fault codes and resets them and has a neat (semi-accurate) dyno, 0-60, 1/4 mile and more.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

The scantools won't log Boost or EGT.

Even just configured as a logging device, the pro could be used to control boost.

But, there are many ways to skin a cat.... (so to speak.....)

Bob
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bishiboy
why not just use an ODBII datalogger like this one: http://www.auterraweb.com/
I have it. It reads air flow in lbs/min. It also logs many other things including timing, air temp, rpms, throttle poss., speed, fuel trim, reads fault codes and resets them and has a neat (semi-accurate) dyno, 0-60, 1/4 mile and more.
Do you know if the lbs/min calculated using the MAF Hz, temp and baro? I will be getting this software package in the next couple of weeks.

l8r)
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure. Email the website and ask.