Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

03 ecu into 05 evo????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ecu into 05 evo????

just wanting to know if it was possible to take a stock ecu out of a 03 evo and put into a 05 evo???? the reason for asking is that I was wanting to attempt to keep my warrenty as long as possible by any means possible....if Im able to use to 03 ecu I was going to flash and run that ecu in the car until I had to go back to the dealership in which time I would put the orginial 05 ecu back in. Just want the car to appear untouch when it goes into the dealership.....I plan to put TBE, drop in k&n and tune by jester tuning here locally.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 06:12 AM

no one can help me out here???? Im thinking that it probably will not work due to the ACD and the 5k rev limiter but I was wondering......also do the 05s have better maps compared to the 03/04???
Old Dec 23, 2005, 07:53 AM

can anyone help because I have access to a 03 ecu.......also if it will not work do you think there is anyways that the ACD and be put into the ecu???
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

not sure on that one...the best answer would be from one of the top tuners such as SHIV, AL friedman, Mr. Buschur, or Jamie from WORKS.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It should work but you will need to have the immobilizers and keys synced or it will not start
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:34 AM

yeah I have read on hear that the keys need to synced for it to run but my main concer is the ACD controls
Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read about someone swapping an 04ecu into an 05, but had problems with the immobilizer. I forget the name and the thread but if you search, you can prolly find him and pm him about how it all worked out. That being said, I think if you get the code right and the immobilizer right, you should be OK. I dont think any of the pins changed from 03 to 05, so if only some internal addresses changed, its all good as long as your running 03 code.

I read where Sean Ivey knows how to EcuTek tune your second controller so that it will behave with the immobilizer and you can just switch back and forth. I suggest PMing him for detrails if your inerested.

You also might want to look at a piggyback unit, becasue you can take them out whenever you want with no alteration to the stock ecu and electronics. It will prolly be less hassle, and maybe less money to go this route.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:45 AM

yeah I just realized that I could go with a piggyback and not have any hassles taking it out but do You know if ecutek would be the best to go with or if there is any better piggyback system??? Also I live in central Fl and I need something close to get it tuned properly
Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdmrex
yeah I just realized that I could go with a piggyback and not have any hassles taking it out but do You know if ecutek would be the best to go with or if there is any better piggyback system??? Also I live in central Fl and I need something close to get it tuned properly
EcuTek is a flash.

There are a lot of piggybacks out there. UTEC, XEDE, MAFTPro, ECU+, etc. Read up on them. I know the UTEC is very easy to install/uninstall and is popular amongst the WRX community, so there are a lot of tuners capable of using it. The XEDE requires a flash of the stock ecu to get rid of fuel cut, rev limit, etc, but it still may work for you, and is well supported by vishnu.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 05:27 PM

ok thanks for the info