Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Wideband O2 location

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wideband O2 location

I just got my WORKS custom DP (I had them put an O2 bung before they coated it).
Anyways, when I went and picked up my DP, I thought the place they installed the O2 bung was a little weird (look at pic), but they said thats where they always install the O2 bung. I want to know if this location is bad. I don't care if I have to change the sensor every once in a while because of heat damage, I just want to know if I'm gonna get correct readings from this location.

Attached Thumbnails Wideband O2 location-dp-o2-sensors.jpg  

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jan 7, 2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no difference in readings anywhere untill you get back by the exhaust tip.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't have put it quite that close as most widebands freak out and give errors and/or produce inaccurate data when the sensor is overheated. You might be OK but you're close. Placing the sensor 2 feet or more from the turbo usually avoids those issues. I'd estimate you're barely over a foot from the turbo by looking at that picture.

Placing it towards the rear of the downpipe makes it easy to get to and provides accurate readings.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Inn-Tune
Honestly I wouldn't have put it quite that close as most widebands freak out and give errors and/or produce inaccurate data when the sensor is overheated. You might be OK but you're close. Placing the sensor 2 feet or more from the turbo usually avoids those issues. I'd estimate you're barely over a foot from the turbo by looking at that picture.

Placing it towards the rear of the downpipe makes it easy to get to and provides accurate readings.
what about the sensors lifespan?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Inn-Tune

The Vishnu SMART install guide (SMART uses LC-1) says mount the O2 at least 12" away. I plan to use the SMART kit, so hopefully it will work.

I noticed the spot they mounted the bung makes it so you can un/install the O2 w/o removing anything (DP, under plastic, etc.)
Old Jan 7, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Tanabe puts their EGT bung where you put your WB bung, if that says anything.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BMan
Tanabe puts their EGT bung where you put your WB bung, if that says anything.
Yes, but most people put there EGT bung in the exhaust manifold.
Anyways, any more opinions, maybe from someone that has their O2 mounted like mine will be.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

the sensor should be located at least at 9 oclock or higher.

inovate sells a cooling piece for the sensor, or make one from sheet copper. something like a three or four inch square sheet of copper sheet (drilled) that fits between the bung and the sensor. same idea as that funnel the vet puts of a dog's neck, only in this case you don't want to incase the sensor you want air to flow over the copper sheet.

Last edited by nothere; Jan 8, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

I searched around about O2s and EGTs at that location and it should be Ok and if it isn't then I need to do exactly what you said; either buy the innovative bung cooler or make a copper heat sheild.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:05 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Just emphasize these points. You need the sensor pointing as close to straight down as possible. This is so condensation will not be trapped in the sensor...which would expand with heat and break the sensor.

That location is (arguably) borderline too close to the engine, but as stated you can install a heatsink to be safe, and it may even be fine without one. Remember that excess heat will not only cause bad readings, but could also damage the sensor...

Best of luck!

Originally Posted by nothere
the sensor should be located at least at 9 oclock or higher.

inovate sells a cooling piece for the sensor, or make one from sheet copper. something like a three or four inch square sheet of copper sheet (drilled) that fits between the bung and the sensor. same idea as that funnel the vet puts of a dog's neck, only in this case you don't want to incase the sensor you want air to flow over the copper sheet.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

i had my about 1ft down from were yours is now and with in about i would say 6000miles maybe less i burn the **** out of it. and it also was a used wb so not best to keep it in. only in for tuneing.