Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Coil Explanation Needed! Can they be half-bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Coil Explanation Needed! Can they be half-bad?

I am having some issues. (suprise, suprise!) I fixed my WOT issues, which have plagued me for well over a year! I can go to 7K RPM, full boost, and no problems. When I put the car in 5th gear, at 3K RPM, and push on the gas, to lets say: pass someone, and with an increase of 300-500 RPM, the machine gunning starts again. boost is not over 13psi, and my speed is about 70-75 MPH.

I can stop the car and do the rapid starts, and high RPM shifts, and I dont get the machine gunning. Back on the highway,3K rpm in 5th, roll in the gas, it happens again! POP-POP-POP, stutter and shutter.

Shiv is confident it is my coils. Since it is Electrical, shouldn't the problem be there at OTHER times also? If the coils are bad, they ARE BAD all the time, NO? You can't be half-pregnant, it either IS or it ISN'T. Anyone shed some light on this subject? I will disconnect the Xede today, to see if the noise in my glovebox goes away (plastic thumping), and try that, and exchange coils and wires, but then again I go back to the previous question: "Is it possible for the coils to be "half-bad?" Lets also assume the plugs are gapped correctly.

1. The Temperature will be 45 today.
2. I will be running with the methanol off, as that is a completley different problem now.
3. I have BPR8ES plugs in gapped to 26.
4. Magnacore wires.
5. I have the HKS DLI II (Twin power spark amplifier)

I have had this problem BEFORE the HKS DLI II ever came into the picture, but I was having the pop-pop stuff at WOT, and at 19psi of boost. THAT problem is gone now. It just rears its head at 5th gear, low rpm, roll into the throttle. Will report back later today.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed coils today, still doing it!! IT is not the coils!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any check engine light? I remember this system on a car running the psi-fi fuel controller with the stock coils and it had a P0300 code. Once cleared it would go away, but the CEL and the P0300 code kept showing back up, customer then switched to the AEM EMS.