Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo IX ECU tuning --> what's best?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX ECU tuning --> what's best?

Hope this thread gets enough visibility down here...

Thinking of getting an Evo IX. Opinions on what ecu system to tune it with?
Considering:

Ecutek
AMS EMS
Utec
Xede

All I've really seen numbers on are the Ecutek tunes. These numbers are great, but isn't the Ecutek a one-time flash? I had a P2 before and hated it because I was so limited to a shop 2,000 miles away.
I'd rather have a piggyback myself so I can switch between different maps. I had a tuned Utec in my STi, and have a local guy that knows them well.
I know the AMS EMS is the best way to extract the most people on the VIII's given you've got the coin and have a handy tuner with a lot of dynotime! My local guy has tuned these before.
Xede - I know they aren't available for the IX (plug n play) yet... Not sure about tuning locally.

Overall, looking for what would work best for me. Figure TBE and tune mainly. Other mods might follow like cams, but I'll probably keep the stock turbo forever.

Car will be my daily driver. I'd like to track it occasionally if I can ever find an event.

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 3, 2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your goal is reliability and driveability with moderate to very good useable power then WORKS. If switching maps then is your goal then XEDE from vish is good.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMejia
If your goal is reliability and driveability with moderate to very good useable power then WORKS. If switching maps then is your goal then XEDE from vish is good.
My goal is NO FLASH, especially not one from a specific vendor. I don't wanna have to mail my ECU out everytime I want to add 1 specific thing, and I don't want to have to buy their specific product either. Sorry, been down that road, and it's probably what pushed me to sell my 03. It's expensive to overnight and ECU with $1000 of insurance!

I did forget to mention what I'll be using the car for (I'll add above)
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:40 AM

Yeah, I am in the same boat..Just have to wait till XEDE comes out with the new harness. Right now , ur only option is flashing the ECU (Dynoflash, Ecutek, etc..).
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purplegodzilla
Yeah, I am in the same boat..Just have to wait till XEDE comes out with the new harness. Right now , ur only option is flashing the ECU (Dynoflash, Ecutek, etc..).
I thought so. Flashes are really great for a majority of the public; just not what I want. I want something I can switch off if I need to. Something I can have some expandability with.

Know if the Utec and/or AMS EMS are available for the IX?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

does anyone know anybody in the central florida area the flashes ECU's? im tryin to avoid parking my car for a couple days since i dont have another one to drive. i know about jestrtuning and i email him but i think he may be out of town or somethin because he didnt answer. so does anybody know anyone else who flashes them in the central florida area?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IXmr321
does anyone know anybody in the central florida area the flashes ECU's? im tryin to avoid parking my car for a couple days since i dont have another one to drive. i know about jestrtuning and i email him but i think he may be out of town or somethin because he didnt answer. so does anybody know anyone else who flashes them in the central florida area?
Instead of hijacking this thread, try posting in your regional thread for locals to reply.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I thought so. Flashes are really great for a majority of the public; just not what I want. I want something I can switch off if I need to. Something I can have some expandability with.

Know if the Utec and/or AMS EMS are available for the IX?
Not sure on the Utec, but the AEM EMS is not available for the 9 yet. Reflashes are about the only thing, but if you are looking at a standalone like the AEM then you should look into an HKS Fcon Vpro as they are available for the 9. We are an authorized pro dealer and tuner and are only 4 hours away from ya.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by kcevo
Not sure on the Utec, but the AEM EMS is not available for the 9 yet. Reflashes are about the only thing, but if you are looking at a standalone like the AEM then you should look into an HKS Fcon Vpro as they are available for the 9. We are an authorized pro dealer and tuner and are only 4 hours away from ya.

Utec is not available for the EVO9 either... But I was looking into it and saw a lot of people dumping the UTEC for the EVO bc of the lack of support..

Anyhow, thats rare to see a HKS FCON pro dealer and tuner besides being out west..But I think the guy wants to have the ability for adjustability and I know the HKS FCON can't. Only authorized tuner get access to the software...Kind of like Flashing dilema again..Only costs a lot more...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purplegodzilla

Anyhow, thats rare to see a HKS FCON pro dealer and tuner besides being out west..But I think the guy wants to have the ability for adjustability and I know the HKS FCON can't. Only authorized tuner get access to the software...Kind of like Flashing dilema again..Only costs a lot more...
Some people don't need all the bells and whistles to change something like fuel compensations or timing compensations. With a flip of a switch on the vpro, or an optional scrample switch, or the optional navigator that can monitor parameters and has a warning buzzer as well; you could add or subtract fuel and/or tiiming for that matter, switch to a race gas map, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for Piggy-Back suggestion on the IX.

Originally Posted by boomn29
Hope this thread gets enough visibility down here...

Thinking of getting an Evo IX. Opinions on what ecu system to tune it with?
Considering:

Ecutek
AMS EMS
Utec
Xede

All I've really seen numbers on are the Ecutek tunes. These numbers are great, but isn't the Ecutek a one-time flash? I had a P2 before and hated it because I was so limited to a shop 2,000 miles away.
I'd rather have a piggyback myself so I can switch between different maps. I had a tuned Utec in my STi, and have a local guy that knows them well.
I know the AMS EMS is the best way to extract the most power on the VIII's given you've got the coin and have a handy tuner with a lot of dynotime! My local guy has tuned these before.
Xede - I know they aren't available for the IX (plug n play) yet... Not sure about tuning locally.

Overall, looking for what would work best for me. Figure TBE and tune mainly. Other mods might follow like cams, but I'll probably keep the stock turbo forever.

Car will be my daily driver. I'd like to track it occasionally if I can ever find an event.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:09 AM

im currently waiting for fields or boomslang to make the ecu patch harness for the IX so i can piggyback with SAFCII. I will let you know hopefully soon as long as these companies finally decide to make one. if not 'll probably have to get a custom one made. But im going SAFCII route for my IX
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183438

Motec makes a plug in for the IX w/ Mivec control
Old Feb 11, 2006, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EviL_IX
im currently waiting for fields or boomslang to make the ecu patch harness for the IX so i can piggyback with SAFCII. I will let you know hopefully soon as long as these companies finally decide to make one. if not 'll probably have to get a custom one made. But im going SAFCII route for my IX
+1
I personally think that a flash (and the occasional reflash) and SAFC is the way to go

Originally Posted by h22gordo
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183438

Motec makes a plug in for the IX w/ Mivec control
But Motec also costs an arm and a leg...no thank you. I'd wait for the computer controlled HKS Mivec Cams before making any sort of decesion.

Last edited by silex; Feb 11, 2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

autronic ?

Quick Reply: Evo IX ECU tuning --> what's best?