Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

AEM EMS Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM EMS Opinions??

I am looking at geting the AEM EMS for EVO 8. I am planning on many more power upgraded as the years go by. For now it is my daily driver. What do you guys or gals think about the AEM EMS??? Pros and Cons??? Any input would be great.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Does your state do inspection using OBD-II?
Can you make adjustments as necessary without having to track down your tuner?
Is your tuner and experienced, reputable person, factory trained by AEM?
Do your long term goals for the car call for an upgraded turbo, or something a reflash/piggyback can absolutely not support?

These are questions you should ask yourself before buying something so complex and expensive.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:45 PM

I am not worried about inspections. I am in the military and travel a lot so finding a good tuner is kinda hard. A turbo uprade is in picture as the last major mod. How much can reflashing the ecu do. I did not get a good tune with my last flash. I think I am getting a bad mix of air and fuel at partial to full throttle.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

I agree....I think you need to decide on what you want from your car. do you want a 500+ monster or something more conservative like 400hp (which is still alot of hp)...it all depends. I think if you go to a reputable person that can work an ems then I dont think you'll have any serious problems...

Me myself am planning to do a 35r or 37r + stroker and all supporting mods from AMS very very soon. Im using the AEM also and like you I was worried about it, cuz i have no clue about those things nor is their anubody around me that has a clue how to work one, but they assured me that if you have a good tunner and ur car is on a conservative tune and not pushed to the edge then you should have nothing to worry about.

Secondly, dont buy stuff now that you wont use in the future. I see alot of that on here in ppls sigs and then like 35r coming soon...Well thats great but the amount of money you wasted on some of the stuff that you wont be able/ wont want to use is now not any good. So there goes thousands of dollars worth of parts out the door. I just bought an AMS stage 1 kit at the end of last summer. Yeah, I could have bought a downpipe and manifold and gotten a reflash for a little extra kick, but I know for where I wanted my car to ultimatley be I would never be able to use that stuff. Soo the the $1500 I saved then now allows me to buy my ems. Now im not sayin this is wrong and im not critizing ne one about their mods, but you would be suprised in the amount of things ppl waste their money on which would well cover the cost of an EMS, which you could always use. So you have to save a little more, WAIT a little longer- which is a hard thing to do trust me ik, and not have the all the power you want in one day. thats just my take on it.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Plan your upgrades before you buy. I have a hodgepodge of brands; if I had it to do over I would stick to one or two brands. It'll cost you more but the fit will be better and it will probably be easier to get a more consistent tune. So far I used an SAFC, an Autronic PNP board, a brain works flash, and now I'm back to an AEM. The AEM is complex and you need to know what you are doing. Pay attention to your car and DON'T ignore noises that are new are knock. I have a VR4 sitting on blocks in my garage because I had a knock that disappeared...then my piston disappeared...$10,000 engine went bye-bye! Be prepared to pay if you want to play and decide how much you want to pay before you start or it will get away from you.