Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Knock control and the PFC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Knock control and the PFC

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there running a seperate knock controller besides the PFC.

I'm not talking about something like J&S Safeguard. I'm thinking along the lines of adding a UTEC or a EMS just to use for knock control, while still using the PFC to run the engine.

I want to remain using the PFC for engine control, however looking for a good knock controller.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Wow! Nobody?

Zeus, you ever try anything like this?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gordo,

do you want to actually make changes when knock is at a certain level or just monitor the value and output it somewhere?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Well, after some brainstorming, I think my best bet would be to add an alcohol/methanol injection kit to help with the knocking. Sounds like an easier solution.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

from my experiences on my old car i think that the knock reading on the afc is innacurate
Old Apr 7, 2006, 03:18 AM

all it does is read the factory knock sensors which should be fine for most applications
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:44 PM

ok so why not a j&s safeguard ? thats your safest way to go for knock control, you can control it very precisely so it wont just start pulling timing when you dont want it to or pull too much or too little w/o telling it to and it can do it in each cylinder. alcohol is a good way to go to push timing a lot more but are you worried if that fails or runs out ? thats where the safeguard comes in, one (alcohol) will help you tune further with less knock to make more power , and one (j&s) will help you prevent your motor from going boom by pulling timing and reducing knock from any problems like some bad gas, ran out of alcy, etc...

some factory knock sensors are very good and you dont need to upgrade/replace, but others arent so great so comparing different cars knock sensors is apples to oranges.

Last edited by Spoolin Spyder; Apr 11, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Well, my engine builder told me that the J&S was junk. He said that timing is adjusted even when knock is not happening. If it senses anything, it will pull timing. I was also told the same thing from some other skilled mechanics, who have used it in the past.

Maybe you might have some different personal feedback from them!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 04:17 PM

having the ecu automatically back out timing is probably the most simplistic and non helpful method of correcting the tune. you have an entire engine management system at your palm so use it like one, rather it just taking out timing. correct it yourself and youll understand the problem much more
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:36 AM

backing out timing might be the most simplistic way of lowering knock, but its also the safest. People dont generaly buy these just to correct their tune, its incase **** happens, like a bad tank of gas for example or a malfuntioning water injection setup or you just ran out of alc/water, a great tune will do nothing for that, what if something else happens that has nothing to do w/a perfect tune, what then ? a great tune does nothing for any problems like those that you can run into, what if one injector starts to fail and one cyl starts knocking, the j&s will pull timing on that one cyl hopefully that can help you before you blow it up. this is made so you dont blow your motor up, not just so people can have some safety while tuning the car. which is another benefit, you can push and push your tune to find the limits and not have to worry about blowing it up if you went too far, if you set the safeguard for a limit and you reach that threshold then it will pull it back.

Last edited by Spoolin Spyder; Apr 15, 2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by h22gordo
Well, after some brainstorming, I think my best bet would be to add an alcohol/methanol injection kit to help with the knocking. Sounds like an easier solution.
Just get your car tuned to a safe level with no knock. Make sure the knock reading on the PFC is under 60, and the datalog has no spikes.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by h22gordo
Well, my engine builder told me that the J&S was junk. He said that timing is adjusted even when knock is not happening. If it senses anything, it will pull timing. I was also told the same thing from some other skilled mechanics, who have used it in the past.

Maybe you might have some different personal feedback from them!
It is junk, because it just displays knock voltgage - so you do not know if it is actual knock, or just engine noise.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:58 AM

so whats the difference between that and what the power fc shows that is 0-5v