Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Flash or not to Flash that is my Question!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on, Koseiko...it's a basic, basic term on here. I'm sure you could figure it out in less than 5 minutes.

It stands for Manual Boost Controller.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC=Manual Boost Conroller

EDIT: Oooppps beat me to it.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

If you don't plan on doing any power mods any time soon, then by all means get a flash. There are a number of choices out there. My advice would be to do your research carefully and make an educated decision. You've obviously waited a while, a little more is not going to matter.

Some other mods to think of:
- boost gauge (if you don't already have one)
- Shifter bushings (underhood and in-car)
- SS clutch line and get rid of the clutch restrictor pill
- alignment

All three of the latter mods made a big difference in my Evo's driveability and they're completely independent of any kind of tuning.

I had an HKS drop-in filter on my car and it leaned out the air fuel ratio (AFR) by a few tenths, which equated to ~5whp on an untuned car.

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Apr 12, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

The thing about making any modifications to the intake and exhaust without tuning of the ECU is that it is possible to loose power. I lost power by adding just a regular K&N drop-in panel filter... I switched back to stock a few times to compare it and sure enough it was the improved air flow that caused my power loss, even though you can supposedly install a drop-in filter without a re-flash. Also with the stock filter in I added 3" downpipe/highflow cat/catback exhaust setup that flowed way more exhaust and I experienced a huge boost loss in every gear from 5-6K rpm. I am waiting for my ECu to come back from Works who informed me that this is a common problem and the flash will cure it. Prior to sending in my ECU I had the dealership check my wastegate and do a boost leak test and they told me that it was all working fine- just my exhaust was causing the problem. When the sensors notice the increased air flow the ECU can send a signal to dump boost (like what happened with my exhaust) or boost wont build as fast like with a filter. Also, stick with your panel filter unless you are racing on the track or upgrade to a larger turbo. I would recommend going to Works with your reflash as they can control boost through the ECU rather than a boost controller, plus your engine wont blow in 20K miles from running too high of boost. I was also considering Vishnu until I found out that some of their cars blew up...
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:23 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Thats weird that you felt a power loss with just a drop in filter. I installed the Works drop in filter after I got my ECU reflashed and it 'felt' more responsive. I went back and forth with the stock filter and sure enough it seems to not rev up as quickly as it did with the Works drop in filter (maybe its because I was already flashed?). With the stock ECU, you'll experience a huge boost loss around 5k as that is when it begins to taper, with the ECU reflashed, it helps it.