Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Mod for mod: STI and Evo Comparison

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2006, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mod for mod: STI and Evo Comparison

I know that the evo is more mod-friendly than the sti, but is that only when there are massive amounts of modifications done? (ie: turbo swap). I know for sure with the same bigger swaps, the evo outbeats the sti power-wise. But how about with simple basic bolt-ons? Does the evo have a significant amount of more power over the sti with similar bolt-ons? (ie: tbe, mbc, etc) without the turbo swap? I'm not trying to start an sti vs evo thread anything. Just curious as to see how big of a differnce of power these two cars make with small mods. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

My STi i had (Utec, Intake, Turboback w/cat) i made 300whp 331wtq and ran 12.7 @ 107.4 That is around $2,200 in mods.

My evo IX made 351whp and 334wtq on the mods in my sig which are a little over $3,000.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Dude are you serious? Evo's totally out power STi's with any mod. Evo's are way more mod friendly PERIOD!!! Sti's actually complain of losing power when they put things like exhuast on cuz they have to be tuned for every little mod.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

yea....from what i've seen/heard/read...

the Evo is more mod friendly than the STi period. whether its bpu's or big mods.
Old May 7, 2006, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
Dude are you serious? Evo's totally out power STi's with any mod. Evo's are way more mod friendly PERIOD!!! Sti's actually complain of losing power when they put things like exhuast on cuz they have to be tuned for every little mod.
Well let's say both cars have the same bolt-ons and a tune? Still a significant amount of power difference?
Old May 8, 2006, 04:25 AM

What people fail to acknowledge is that the WRX is fundamentally flawed in its design and its layout, and these design flaws are the reason that the evo is a better car off the shelve and is easier and cheaper to modify.

1. The 4G63 is a cast iron engine block to compare with the alloy block on the subi. This makes the engine block stronger and more rigid and it can support a higher load on its bottom end. Therefore EVO’s can be modified to a higher output before you need to do anything to the bottom end bearings and crank shaft.

2. The boxer engine is bigger and takes more area than the 4G63 this makes both the inlet manifold and exhaust manifolds runners longer which increases spooling effort and inlet temperature. As well the uneven firing order of the flat 4 causes an uneven or unbalanced firing order (with respect to crank angle) and higher stress on the bottom end.

3. The worst design flaw of the WRX is the top mount intercooler. First it is stuck in a very bad position to properly get good airflow and requires forced cooling (electric fan) and a stupid air scoop that you cannot see over. Second, due to its location and the lack of space it is far too small to be effective for the output of the engine. Any seriously modified STI has an expensive front mount intercooler fitted to it, which require a lot longer plumbing to fit than the EVO system. The problem with the intercooling on the Subi is evident in the low static compression ratio of the subaru’s engine of 8.0:1 to compare with the EVO’s 8.9:1 which is pretty remarkable as this is the compression ratio of many naturally aspirated cars today and they still manage to boost it to 22psi in stock form without detonation. This contributes to the very low torque of the Subaru before boost builds up as well as the high RPM required for the Subaru to start spooling. The EVO has full torque at 3000RPM while the Subaru is closer to 5000RPM. The EVO has a much wider torque band and is much more enjoyable to drive as it pulls very hard from much lower RPM and you do not need to shift down all the time to be in the power.

So to all you Subaru's owners, you poor deluded people, keep dreaming and I hope you enjoy the aroma of my muffler because that’s all you will get from me. I will however only concede one point to the Subaru, you do have cruise control.
Old May 8, 2006, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well done!
Old May 8, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Su*****aru
Old May 8, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

The US STI has a 2.5 so the torque is there but I can see the lack of it in the ej20.
Old May 8, 2006, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Correct, an sti will make more tq than an evo mod for mod, unless its a IX....

Scorke
Old May 8, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Correct, an sti will make more tq than an evo mod for mod, unless its a IX....

Scorke

probably because the STI is a 2.5 liter engine.....
Old May 8, 2006, 07:20 AM

well they had to go and make it a 2.5L, cos even if the concept is crap you still cannot beat cubic inches. However Here in NZ we get Jap spec EVO IX and STI and we still kick their butts even with less cubes.
Old May 8, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah STis/STIs make very impressive torque gains with bolt on mods, but to achieve similiar WHP numbers means a swap of the turbo for an STi/STI, while an EVO can achieve 400WHP on the stock turbo. I like stiguy's comparison, but it must be noted that he could have achieved similiar gains with far less money spent.

IX wagone made some very good points so no need to further expand on that. Basically both cars are mod friendly, just that the EVO is a little more friendly and cheaper to mod.
Old May 8, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

The IX is a whole other discussion and it's not even close with a STi/STI to tell you the truth.
Old May 8, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I know this topic has been pretty discussed already but heres my crack at it, im not going to tell you what car is more mod friendly because we all already know the answer, But im gonna try and explain in my opinion why. I think that despite all of the warranty problems and what not, the evo was built to accept the aftermarket more friendly to begin with. or maybe that their rally teams didnt have to do as much work to get them rally ready from the showroom. and this is why i think that. anyone who has ever driven a STI or Evo will tell you that the Evo is way more precise,quicker steering the suspension is set up more harsh and the engine comes on very very strong later in the powerband thanks to its larger turbo from factory and its smaller displacement to spin that larger turbo, additionally i think thats why there were more STI sales than evo sales. Not everyone can handle or needs the Evolution, and the step right below it is the softer more gentle STI.

Quick Reply: Mod for mod: STI and Evo Comparison