Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

utec nub question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
utec nub question

damn!t guys! ok i know my bolt-on mech. cr@p, but im a newb on ecu, pls. bear with me. i don't have utec yet but i'm planning on getting once i get back from this sh!tty desert. you guys sound sooooo smart, i've been reading for a couple of days now, i get a lot of good info. but most of them, i still don't understand. is there any "BASIC-OF-THE-BASICS" type of discussions in here that i can read, you know, the not so super high tech. very scientific computer genius words you guys throw out?

also i read about that if you go all out, the stock ecu cant handle the power. if i have tbe, intake, FMIC, cams/gears, valvesprings, fuel pump, hks power...something, and maybe stage 2 turbo, will the utec handle it?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would start with a book on EFI tuning.. Its pretty generic but should get you understanding the basics of what we discuss..

I'm not sure how "old school" you are, but I learned how to tune on a Carburetor and vacuum/mechanical distributor.. The concepts are the same only your telling a computer to do the work for you..

Don't believe ANYONE when they tell you the stock ECU cannot handle power levels, although there are limitations, they are not a concern for 90% of the modifications most evo's have.

I would do more research on your modification path since your not familiar with most of this stuff yet (the HKS Power somthing and stage 2 turbo, was a dead giveaway )

However, the good news is a UTEC can easily handle anything you want to throw at it.. Especially if/when they ever release a new firmware..

You need to be more specific on your mods, and understand exactly what they are.. you don't say what cams, but you have upgraded springs, so it gives me an idea that their probably not HKS cams...

Once you get through a EFI101 type book, you should be in a position to understand what the relevence of injector size, ignition timing, MAF readings, and whatnot.. Should put you on solid ground.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i......appreciate it...thanx. btw i'm getting the jun camgears/springs, xs engineering cams