Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Should i go ECU flash or SAFC controller?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i go ECU flash or SAFC controller?

been doing a bunch of research, and i came to the conclusion that i cannot come to a decision on what route to go. Ive heard its easy to just get an ECU flashed based on what mods you have and its fairily accurate, but at the same time ive been told by a few local tuners to skip the flash purchase a safc controller and just get it custom tuned and as i purchase more performance parts just have re adjusted rather than getting reflash after reflash

Opinions or comments more than welcomed thanks!

BTW, if your curious, im not planning on doing big turbo within the next year i dont suppose, but i would like to get TBE,02 housing,exhaust mani,maybe cams when they are available,intake, and a few other bolt ons... for those who are trying to figure out what would be the best route for me! thanks in advance
Old Jun 8, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

i love my flash, couldnt be more pleased... of course im biased, and i have no idea how to tune a SAFC
Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

depends on your goals, your local people don't sound to educated.

A reflash can control; boost, fuel, timing + more

a s-afc can control fuel only.

TJ
Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

IMO your best bet would to call Buschur Racing and order the Warrtalon package,you,ll have a very quick,excellent running car,reliable as stock(if not more)and you,ll have your flash.the power you will be making will keep you more than happy untill you plan on upgrading your turbo,good luck,Danny
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

no need for the safc when u get the flash that will change your fuel maps. but if u have like add ons such as intake, bov, stuff like that safc will fine tune that stuff but i would go with a flash
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ECU flash is the only way to get the proper ignition timing numbers programmed in your load cells for maximum performance.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I am currently just using a SAFCII to tune with and it's been working great, I made 310WHP 312Ft-lb with a tb(w/ high flow cat), intake, IC pipes, and mbc set to 21 lbs. I like being able to just go retune after new mods, but I have also heard of people getting base flashes then using a AFC to fine tune with after mods.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick, that was with a ridiculous SAE correction, so you can't use those numbers for comparison. If I used my corrected numbers for Denver, I'd be claiming 380whp/425wtq, which are nowhere near reality. My uncorrected numbers are 300whp/337wtq, and I know you're nowhere near my power level.

It's not to be able to retune for mods, but the SAFC has no control over timing, so you aren't making near as much power as you would with a flash, and you have none of the flash features. Additionally, it's very difficult, strange, and rare to have more torque than HP with an SAFC on 91oct without upgraded injectors. I'd have to see your dynographs, AFRs, and timing to believe it.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

War.... I know that my numbers are corrected, I never said they were uncorrected but I tuned at Carz Custom and my car has been sort of a freak because it made more power on the same dyno than Carz 9 when we had the same mods( it wasn't much like maybe 6-7 whp).
I am currently looking into other EMS so that I can control more than just air-fuel.