Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

PFC knock reading is high - please help !

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PFC knock reading is high - please help !

I have recently been getting a unusally high 42 reading on the PFC for knock. Its usually under 20. Is this a major cause for concern?

I have only recently made two changes - 1. put on a ebay o2, and 2. changed the rear muffler as it appeared to be too restrictive. I wouldn’t have thought these items would make such a big difference on the reading.

I should also note that the weather has taken a turn over here from 62 to 90 degrees - would the hot weather cause a big change in the knock reading that im seeing?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:29 AM

yes higher intake temps will increase the chances of knocking. Knocking is actually predonation. That is the combustion occuring without firing of the spark plug. The common factors;

too much IGN timing for that cell (drop timing for that cell/area)
too higher intake temps (drop boost, fix cold air intake, get better air intake)
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks. Knock reading in first three gears is under 15, but goes over that in 4 and 5th.

My tuner said 40 is an acceptable level but dont want to be seeing it go over that.

I guess I just have to take it easier during this heat wave we are having in london. 30 degrees c or 90 degrees f in the evenings - very unusal for the uk !
Old Jun 13, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hi Mate

If your inlet temps are getting higher than norm there is setting in PFC that can be changed to retard the IGN timing @ set inlet temp and also you can add more fuel as well @ set temps but only with the software , I dont see anymore than 10 on my knock and i run 1.75 bar spike and held 1.6.

Try and get it a bit lower if you can or you can take IGN out with the hand held which is under setting and hi-light IGN and put a - number in to see if get lower as a quick fix.

You will get more knock as well in higher gears as the engine is under more load, this is why you are get higher reading also as paul said it sounds like you have to much IGN @ a set cell/area, I would have a guess that its either doing as it comes on boost or @ 5000/5500 rpm

Also i use det cans and with running 40 knock you can pick it up with them but every engine is different but anymore than 25 is a bit high IMHO.

Hope this help

D

Last edited by Dragon-V; Jun 13, 2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:02 AM

does the airtemp under montior work on the evo7/8 PFC?
what airtemp are you seeing when you have these higher knocks ?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:33 AM

Im seeing this excessive knock when intake temps are around 113 degrees F or 45 degrees C.

The weather has cooled down alot now so Ill take the car out again tonight and see what sort of knock levels I am getting.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:36 AM

Dragon V - what sort of intake temps do you typically see on your car? My intake temp is close to 10 degrees C above outside temp - Im woundering whether that is good or bad - which will tell me whether my intake pipe and cold air feed is any good.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:52 AM

Hi, I only see them temps (45) when i am in traffic, over the last few hot days i am running 35s or about 5d's over outside temps, when moving today was about 20 but it has cooled down a bit.

But like i said there are some setting in the PFC that can help with high temps, or get a battery re-location kit and move the air filter to front, if you havent already done that as this what i have on my car.

D
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:10 AM

Nian, you dont have any worries. its all getting sorted soon anyway

Lee, he's running L jet, so the temps arent the same as ours.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by RG Motorsport
Nian, you dont have any worries. its all getting sorted soon anyway

Lee, he's running L jet, so the temps arent the same as ours.
Hi Rich,

Did'nt know this was yours , with the L-jet your temps will be different to mine and Rich's.

Anyway you are in safe hands with Rich
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:26 PM

Yes, this is one of Rich's. And i must say that he has done a terrific job and the car runs very very well.

I have just bought a relocation kit so ill come back and report whether the intake temps come down.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by nianlala
Yes, this is one of Rich's. And i must say that he has done a terrific job and the car runs very very well.

I have just bought a relocation kit so ill come back and report whether the intake temps come down.
Yep Rich is spot on mate, i new him when he had a ROVER

Like i said stick with him and you will be fine, thought it might have been an Abbey job, Rich will understand what i mean
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:59 PM

Hey guys!
Im new to the forum from Trinidad W.I. I drive Ralliart GSR RHD EVO VII. I have The Power FC L-Jetro installed. It was working fine untill I got the car back from the Body shop and found that mostly when the car is cold that when I power the car as it reachesor just exceeds 80degC the car feels like a fuel cut 1st ,the check light falses abit and knock goes up abit at times, the amont varies. I cant seem to correct the problem. It only stops flashing when i richen up the mixture quit a lot at through out(terrible power). What could the body shop have done to cause thois problem? they did clean my engine bay as I found a few vacuum tubes out, and clogged fuel regulator boost tube. I`m I missing some thing? Is thePower FC damaged? Please help!!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

hey ,i just want to know even on 2 bar bost my knock is no more than 20 but when ever i launch it shows the peak knock of 80 ..
is it the false knock or its is somthing ive to wory about ?
also can sombody tell me that ive changed the 3 bar map to aem 3.5bar map ..
comander is giving me some false readings ,like 2 bar actuall boost and the comander shows peak 1.1 bar ..
same with the duty cycle of injecters ...