Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

New Owner needs help!!! SAFC/ECU

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner needs help!!! SAFC/ECU

Hi all, I just bought my first evo this weekend and I'm already having problems, the idel is a lil ruff and when i let off the clutch it sometimes stalls ( I did notice some posts about possible blowoff valve related problem .. /shrug) and the check engine light came on today after I disconnected the battery to reattach the hks downpipe boot that came off my licp while driving on the highway this morning (scared the heck outta me when it dumped all power in high revs in 4th.) anyways the car has a apexi SAFC and I was told It has a Dynoflashed ecu. I think disconnecting the battery either reset my ecu or the safc , I'm no tuner and have no idea how to fix this problem .. I set up an appointment with Topspeed in Atlanta for next week to look at my car , and retune the safc however is there a way to disconnect the safc till then? also it has a mbc set at 21 psi, Is this throwing a light? oh and the other day i droped a stage 2 clutch and a fidanza lightweight flywheel in ..could the new flywheel be throwing it off? anyway ...Thx for any help You folks can give....what I guess im asking is should i disconnect the safc till i get it looked at, and how do I do it.

mods dynoflashecu, hks dp and bov, mbc,apexi turbotimer, apexi SAFC,stage2 clutch and lightweightflywheel

Last edited by Kilratio; Jun 28, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

First, your stalling problem could very well be your BOV, 03-04 don't handle VTA bov's to good. As for the check engine light, get your car scanned to see what code you threw, that makes it a lot easier to see what the problem is. For disconnecting the SAFC, you need to check and see if the person you got it from either spliced the cables in or used the plug and play harness. If it's spliced in, I would just leave it and you could just set all your corrections on it to zero, so that it is not changing any of your air-fuel. Hope this helps......
Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dunno why people use SAFC w/ an ECU flash. Friend of mine is planning on doing both :shrugs:. if you have a VTA BOV plumb it where it's supposed to. Also do a boost leak check. One of my hoses popped off after my clutch install because they didn't tighten all the clamps properly. Definitely get it tuned if you don't know what you are doing. For all you know you could be running dangerously lean.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Dunno why people use SAFC w/ an ECU flash. Friend of mine is planning on doing both :shrugs:. if you have a VTA BOV plumb it where it's supposed to. Also do a boost leak check. One of my hoses popped off after my clutch install because they didn't tighten all the clamps properly. Definitely get it tuned if you don't know what you are doing. For all you know you could be running dangerously lean.
I run a flash and a safc just because i can fine tune the car and when i do a bolt on here and there i can compensate for it easily. It takes most the time and effort out of the way. I love having the safc to the addition to my flash. I also have the open ecu software and cable to make any major adjustments but like i said its nice to have the safc at hand while driving so i can fine tune. For example i added a manifold, o2 housing and a 10.5 hotside the other day and i got it dialed in perfectly with a few pulls. And btw: i love it now with the additional mods. The car sounds awesome now and pulls much harder.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:17 PM

I just installed the safc 2 but having problem setting it up. On the Sensor Type menu I can't choose Karman. Everytime I click Nx or push the center scroll right it just brings me back to the previous menu. All other type of sensor I select is ok. Can anyone help?