Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Who owns a tune? The customer or the tuner?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at number 3. 1st off they are stealing code from by hacking it. How are you going to sue someone for that when you are breaking the law to start with? It's like someone robbing my house and they take all my pot plants and I call the cops and tell them what do you think would happen? If Mitsu wanted they could sue ALL the tuners as well as the EPA could for tampering with emissions.

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
What it comes down to is this..

1) Respect your tuner, and the software he uses by not distributing your rom.

2) Protect YOURSELF from damages by not distributing your own map, even if its tuned by a tuner, its YOUR property and if someone blows up their car, they can attempt to collect damages FROM YOU as the owner of the map. (It is highly unlikely they could win, but there is no precident setting court case at the moment that I'm aware of)

3) Distributing a map from a locked ECU, that has a license key embedded on it, WILL violate the agreement you have for your right to allow a tuner to use the Tool to alter it, because by distributing it, you would be circumventing their licensing. HOWEVER making an archival backup, and using a tool to do it is CLEARLY WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS.

I hope this last flurry of posts clears up a few things.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

alot of variables but i think tuner owns it unless the customer specifys some details but even then its not one or the other its both and reguarding the sharing of those email tunes. thats just crap because the tuning industry is too far and few to be not paying for a service its not like music where tuners are millionaires but most are struggling especially anyone getting started. so pay for every day flash tune watever support our fellow tuners
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

emissions is a load of S*** anyhow california's tree huggers need to get shipped off instead of messing with emissions teach some of these morons out here how to fricken drive better... sorry if thats off topic
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love how the last posts after the thread died 5 months ago were newbies lol
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

i don't think the tuners would loose a penny if they let us share the maps, because if you really want a good tune for your engine mods, you'll have it custom flashed by your preferred shop, uploading someone elses map will most likely end-up with a blown motor