Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Difference??? ECUFLASH & ECUTECK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006 | 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Difference??? ECUFLASH & ECUTECK

what is the difference between the two. Today i heard that ecuflash is a knock off ecu teck??? Is this true?

Is that why it is cheaper because you dont pay for licensing?
Old Jun 30, 2006 | 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jun 30, 2006 | 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

ECUFlash is a user-supported and developed flashing tool. It allows you to directly alter the ROM on your ECU. It only requires a $90 cable that hooks up to your OBD-II port and free software.

ECUTek accomplishes the same, just uses different equipment and has to be done via a license process that effectively locks you out of your own ECU. It costs ~$600 and can only be performed by authorized dealers.

Personally, I think ECUFlash with an 'E-Flash' from Dynoflash or some similar vendor is the way to go.
Old Jun 30, 2006 | 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

When I first heard about this I thought it was an over reaction. Now the I have seen the ECUTECK software (just got flashed) and found out that they are pulling licenses from vendors using ECUflash I can defiantly see ECUTECKs side. The software looks very similar as does the cable. Whether it is a copy or not only the developers know. I don't think that this will really effect ECUTECKs business.
Old Jun 30, 2006 | 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

a local tuner today was offended when i asked if they did ecuflash. Thats what i was planning on is using the ecuflash.
Old Jun 30, 2006 | 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AZ EVO IX MR
a local tuner today was offended when i asked if they did ecuflash. Thats what i was planning on is using the ecuflash.
Did he tell you why he was offended? I would take my business elsewhere.

EDIT: As for ECUFlash being a "copy", I don't think so. The cables are the same because that is what is required to get this type of thing to work. There is probably only one way to do it, so it only makes sense that both cables would look the same. The same goes for the software. Look at other programs such as Enginuity or ECUEdit. They are very similar as well. The real work is 'reverse engineering' the ECU ROMs to figure out what values represent what. The people behind ECUFlash along with the user community did all that work themselves, so I don't think there is any problem here.

Last edited by f-dub; Jun 30, 2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2006 | 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

AZ EVO IX MR

Where are you getting tuned if I may ask? I have been to a lot of local venders (not for tuning) and found Dyno Comp to be the most professional so far when it comes to service. Really great people to deal with. They are a little more expensive but I think it is worth it for the quality of service.
Old Jul 1, 2006 | 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

I know for a fact that the ECUFlash is a unique application which was developed without any connection whatsoever to ECUTek, the similarities in the software are cosmetic and somewhat coincidental simply by the nature of what tuning is.. The bootloader and other microcode was developed by Colby by extracting and experimenting with ECUs.. The definitions are XML files contributed by others who disassembled and searched through the ROM image (I do the same thing when I need to find information not currently available)

With that said, a ECU Rom is a rom.. and with a good tuner, the results will be similar if not the same.. If your tuner uses ECUTek and you trust him and he's local, then by all means use it, the same goes for any other tool your preferred tuner would use.

As far as I have heard, there is very little difference between a stock Evo rom, and a proprietary ECUTek rom, the big difference is the licensing, the ECU is locked (not always a bad thing) but overall, the features available are similar, only the tools to set them are better (and easier to use) in the ECUTek software.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for any kind of reflash, but thats only because I'm capable of doing it myself.. You basically need to find a good tuner that you trust, and then go from there..
Old Jul 1, 2006 | 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AZ EVO IX MR
what is the difference between the two. Today i heard that ecuflash is a knock off ecu teck??? Is this true?

Is that why it is cheaper because you dont pay for licensing?
Its definitely NOT a knockoff.. Interface similarities are really because the nature of tuning means you will always need particular info displayed in a particular manner.. The developers of the software are intimately familiar with embedded programming and microcontrollers, essential to developing software like this.
Old Jul 16, 2006 | 07:38 AM

What do you mean when you say the ecu is LOCKED by EcuTek? Will i be able to switch to a different reflash once I get an EcuTek Flash?
Old Jul 16, 2006 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

No, you won't.
Old Jul 21, 2006 | 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

I think vendors are RAPING people on flash prices. I understand the cost of a dyno tuned flash but the mail in flashes are highway robbery. I'm glad there are low cost alternatives available these days.
Old Jul 25, 2006 | 08:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by f-dub
Did he tell you why he was offended? I would take my business elsewhere.

EDIT: As for ECUFlash being a "copy", I don't think so. The cables are the same because that is what is required to get this type of thing to work. There is probably only one way to do it, so it only makes sense that both cables would look the same. The same goes for the software. Look at other programs such as Enginuity or ECUEdit. They are very similar as well. The real work is 'reverse engineering' the ECU ROMs to figure out what values represent what. The people behind ECUFlash along with the user community did all that work themselves, so I don't think there is any problem here.
I believe that the security was bypassed "hacked" and the code was taken from Ecutek as to the addresses of the ecu parameters.

Rumor has it there will be a lawsuit impending. If a company spends thousands and thousands of dollars developing a programming system and then has their addresses stolen, they have room to be upset.

You can download videos online semi freely, it does not mean that Universal Studios or MGM are ripping people off by making them pay to buy their movies or see it at the theatre. Buying a bootleg DVD off the street of NYC is the near equivalent of what has happened.

The reason the software is free likely is to minimize the financial damages that would be addresses in a lawsuit. If they do not charge $ for the system, then ECUTEK cannot come after them for those financial damages. That is my take on it.
Old Jul 25, 2006 | 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmoudry
AZ EVO IX MR

Where are you getting tuned if I may ask? I have been to a lot of local venders (not for tuning) and found Dyno Comp to be the most professional so far when it comes to service. Really great people to deal with. They are a little more expensive but I think it is worth it for the quality of service.
this statement only applies if you drive a Subaru & like running lean pump gas maps. EVO's are NOT his specialty hence the lack of an EVO shop car. his STI does put down about 650WHP (uses C-16 only) & has the fastest lap @ Firebird Raceway down in PHX of 1:06...
Old Jul 25, 2006 | 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by housedj
this statement only applies if you drive a Subaru & like running lean pump gas maps. EVO's are NOT his specialty hence the lack of an EVO shop car. his STI does put down about 650WHP (uses C-16 only) & has the fastest lap @ Firebird Raceway down in PHX of 1:06...
My AFR is currently set between 11.2 and 11.4 from 4k to 7k. I don't think I am running too lean, but then again I am not a professional tuner. Is there a tuner in particular that you would suggest in the Phoenix area?

Quick Reply: Difference??? ECUFLASH & ECUTECK