Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

OBD-II Switch and Plug N Play harness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD-II Switch and Plug N Play harness

Hello Folks,
My unit should be ariving this week and I have a question about installing a switch for OBD-II functionality.

I will be using the plug and play harness and want to install a switch in the line so I can flip a switch to reflash with ecuflash. The manual mentions pin 22 on the low current harness should be cut for placement of a switch or quick connect. I assume the low current harness will be patched into the field harness and all i need to do is locate pin 22 on the low current connector.

What specs would i need on the switch votage and amperage wise? I imagine 12v but no idea on the amperage.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
any toggle switch will work... There is so little load that you won't overheat any type of switch..

Also, there is a jumper inside the unit.. I took a wire pigtail for a hard disk drive out of an old computer and put it on the jumper and made a switch for that.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, thanx Jack.

I used an old 4 to 2 pin mollex fan connector to make a harness for the gm map sensor last night. Can't decide If I want to mount the switch on the unit or in the glovebox... but using the jumper headers would make for a clean removal in the future...

Now I just need to find a plug type connector for my tuna pro analogue voltage output so I can hook that up to the ecu+ when it shows up. I think the pro will work fine the the plx profile once I configure the output scaling on the tuna....
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Cool, thanx Jack.

I used an old 4 to 2 pin mollex fan connector to make a harness for the gm map sensor last night. Can't decide If I want to mount the switch on the unit or in the glovebox... but using the jumper headers would make for a clean removal in the future...

Now I just need to find a plug type connector for my tuna pro analogue voltage output so I can hook that up to the ecu+ when it shows up. I think the pro will work fine the the plx profile once I configure the output scaling on the tuna....
Radio shack.. They sell the two pin molex connector, calibrate the output of your Tuna Pro for the PLX Devices voltage range and it works perfectly...

I physically mounted my switch on the unit.. But my glovebox is now dedicated to the Tuner Pro, ECU+, AVC-R, RPM Controlled switch and rotary RPM module, and two ECU's
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
.. But my glovebox is now dedicated to the Tuner Pro, ECU+, AVC-R, RPM Controlled switch and rotary RPM module, and two ECU's
Damn, I thought I was doing good when I mounted my tuna pro in the glove box

Now that I don't need the serial cable comming off the back of the tuna I can shift the tuna pro over a bit and make room for the ecu+ box.. either that or I will make up some bracets to mount it behind the glovebox.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah no room left for gloves... I had the ECU+ mounted next to the ECU for awhile, velcro to the AC/Heater box high enough that I could reach the DB9 and switch I put in it by reaching behind the glove box.. But now I needed to dedicate more space to my hardware..
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I went into Radio Shack and bought a toggle switch. It worked perfectly (no issues).