Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

OBD II port simulator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II port simulator

Anyone know of a product that would simulate perfect OBD II port readings without the stock ecu being in place. If not, are there any electrical engineers on this site that could make one?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:48 AM
Account Disabled

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by althemean
Anyone know of a product that would simulate perfect OBD II port readings without the stock ecu being in place. If not, are there any electrical engineers on this site that could make one?
We use these simulators at work (for OBD development, scan tool/software testing):

www.obd2cables.com

Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by vvmaks
We use these simulators at work (for OBD development, scan tool/software testing):

www.obd2cables.com

How does this work?
my friend has a 96 Audi S6 from Canada that he's owned in NH for years.
Recently, NH and MA changed the way the car's get tested for emissions and all 96 and up cars MUST be equipped with OBD2 scanners.
His only has OBD1

His car is more or less stock and he's being forced to sell it now that NH won't pass it.
If this works for $250... he's be VERY grateful.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:01 PM

Multi-protocol OBD-II ECU Simulator

Recently announced:

Multi-Protocol ECU Simulator with 12V Power Supply

The CAN module also lets you "listen in" on the bus traffic. Very fun to play with.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chapel
How does this work?
my friend has a 96 Audi S6 from Canada that he's owned in NH for years.
Recently, NH and MA changed the way the car's get tested for emissions and all 96 and up cars MUST be equipped with OBD2 scanners.
His only has OBD1

His car is more or less stock and he's being forced to sell it now that NH won't pass it.
If this works for $250... he's be VERY grateful.
Emission stations have a way to compare the parameters they get from the vehicle, with a database that has information from similar vehicles. Any sort of anomaly would show up right away. In addition, they check for things like changing RPM and so on.

So I'm afraid the simulator won't help your friend, not to mention that using it for this purpose would be illegal.

Vitaliy
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:05 PM

looks like someone will have to just pony up the extra money for a passing smog...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:46 AM

Simulator device

I actually know a guy with a 2004 Subaru WRX that passed using this. Apparently this one is different since it support readiness monitor, VIN number and the other numbers that verify the calibration.

Trouble is, you would have to calibration numbers out of your stock ECU with a code scanner so you can plug them into this thing.

I think we give the testing station software more credit than it deserves. I think the software is written on a state by state basis, so therefore while some states may be strict about verifying numbers against a database, consider testing stations in BFE with no internet connection to validate those things...

I haven't tried it myself, but I think this would be a good alternative.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by hondakid12

I actually know a guy with a 2004 Subaru WRX that passed using this. Apparently this one is different since it support readiness monitor, VIN number and the other numbers that verify the calibration.

Trouble is, you would have to calibration numbers out of your stock ECU with a code scanner so you can plug them into this thing.

I think we give the testing station software more credit than it deserves. I think the software is written on a state by state basis, so therefore while some states may be strict about verifying numbers against a database, consider testing stations in BFE with no internet connection to validate those things...

I haven't tried it myself, but I think this would be a good alternative.
what about for the evo 9. what would i have to order? i dont want to buy a hi flow cat and i would rather just do this.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by from_Si_2_Evo
what about for the evo 9. what would i have to order? i dont want to buy a hi flow cat and i would rather just do this.
You don't need this for what you're asking about. You can trick the output with the stock ECU with tephra mods or by doing the manual trick (putting a spark plug anti-fouler between the rear O2 sensor and the bung). It will pass the test either of these two ways. The OP is asking for when you replace the factory ECU with something like an EMS. In that case you need something like this to pass an OBD2 test.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:03 PM

I have never used one of those simulators but I can tell you right now that the main thing a tester looks for is

1) no check engine light (MIL flag not set)
2) only 1 readiness monitor can be set to "Not Ready"

there may be a VIN check and some other stuff

also, it needs to work on the correct protocol. Before the CAN standardization, there were something like 6 different OBD 2 protocols used among the different manufacturers.

Last edited by arghx7; Apr 6, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:39 PM

Anyone have an XTREME obd2 simulator that they want to sell?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dammit! This was pulled from the market!

http://www.immensehardware.com/
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Carlin
Anyone have an XTREME obd2 simulator that they want to sell?
More importantly, does anyone have one to be sent to china to be copied and mass produced.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jetdriver
More importantly, does anyone have one to be sent to china to be copied and mass produced.

Now thats the spirit.....
Somthing like this comes under the evil eye of the feds...thats why its vaporware now

Quick Reply: OBD II port simulator