Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

"flood clear" wideband calibration?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"flood clear" wideband calibration?

Has anyone tried this on an Evo?

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...ead.php?t=3063

Hi,

Here's a trick for a quick free-air calibration of the LC-1 and LM-1 that will work with modern ECUs that have a "flood clear" function. With those the injectors won't fire when the gas pedal is pressed fully down while cranking (to clear flooding). On most cars 10-20 engine rotations should be enough to clear out any leftover exhaust gas, depending on sensor location and exhaust system volume.
Switch the engine back off before you get off the throttle though, so it wont inadvertantly start.

I tried it on a 2000 Honda Civic. 5-6 Seconds cranking at WOT was enough for the LC-1 to show the same O2 content as in free air (freshly calibrated with the sensor out before I tried it). Results may vary with your setup, but you can easily try it for yourself. Post the results, as others might want to use that too.

Regards,
Klaus

Last edited by AutoXer; Jul 17, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

I tried it. It started.

How bout a different approach. Could you suck in clean air with a shop vac through the tailpipe? I guess there wouldn't be a very good chance of the engine landing at TDC between the exhaust and intake stroke. hmmmm...

Guess I could just not be lazy and take the O2 sensor out...

just food for thought...
Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:11 PM

Just drive your car and declerate. On decel the ecu shuts off the injectors and just pumps air.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sbiggi
Just drive your car and declerate. On decel the ecu shuts off the injectors and just pumps air.
I tried this on my first test run. However the car seemed to be running very rich. I suspected Al tuned it to be on the lean side. Buschur never did get me a printout of my final AFR, so I'm not sure if it chanced since then. I can't access the ECU to see what the fuel tables look like cause I'm frickin locked out by EcuTek.

I later calibrated by letting the car sit for over a day... then calibrating before cranking it over. I got the same sort of readings that I got using the decel method.

Thanks for the comment.