Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Flash? SAFC? I can’t decide. Yes I’ve searched, this is a intelligent question.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash? SAFC? I can’t decide. Yes I’ve searched, this is a intelligent question.

So, I have searched, I have spent many an hour reading thread after thread on here and socalevo. I have run into a brick wall. I have seen so many posts for Dynoflash, so many posts for SAFC, and a few on Ecuflash. I have no idea what the hell to choose.

All I want right now is reliable power without the hassle. I have an 06 IX, 3" TBE, K&N drop in, Forge MBC at 19 PSI. Do I plan on modding more? Id give it a 15% chance there might be more in the future.

It would seem Dynoflash is the way to go, but, I have seen numerous threads bashing the hell outta Al. I was going to wait till he came to SoCal in Sept $175, but that might not happen due to not enough deposits. So mail in $199.

They just came out with the patch harness for the SAFC for the IX, $200 for harness, $350 for SAFC, I could prolly tune it myself but is it overkill?

Ecuflash, I have a laptop, I have computer skills, $80 cable, $50 flash from Al, or take my chances with tweaking myself based on even more mishmash of info on here and socalevo.

Should I just chance Dynoflash? Will I get hosed? Will I get an unsafe tune? Why the hell does Socalevo hate Dynoflash so much? Is Dr. Gray the ultimate evo tuner? Why the hell is socal so anti flash? Talk about paralysis by analysis, I have over infoed my ***.

Help!
Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get the cable if you can find one... get an eflash from al... cheapest way to go. Al's flashes are very reliable, and work wonders. you will be impressed with the car afterwards.

safc doesnt control or change timing... Al's flashes do. Ecuflash is just a cheap version of ecutek... it does work, but ecutek is supposedly better software and is what al uses.

i think most peoples opinions will be go with a flash, whether from al or not, but no afc for sure
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Check out tuning technologies they are local and everybody in socal loves them...

I would get flashed with someone local so you could have option of tech support..
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

if only you could "switch" between flashes as easily as the SAFCII to run a little C16...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

pay al 100, find a cable and al will send you 2 maps, and you can switch that easily
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Get a custom tune if you can.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by IXToes
Get a custom tune if you can.
thats your best bet, if not just get a flash.

YOU WILL BE SATISFIED!
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

The SAFC is no comparison to a flash, and I'm not just talking about Dynoflash. Of course, I would love you to get a Dynoflash, but that's not my main concern. My main concern is that you don't get brainwashed by the deep-rooted SOCALEVO hatred for flashes. I don't know why they still continue to proliferate that hatred, but the SAFC is completely obsolete now that we have EcuFlash. You can get your cable FROM AL, pay for the $50 e-flash, then tune yourself to your heart's content. If you don't want to tune yourself, then leave it as is. It will be safe, it will make power, and you will have the option of flashing other maps whenever you want (stock, valet, race gas, etc) if you create them or request them.

No, bigric, Al does not use EcuTek on Evos unless specifically requested. He uses Techtom, which is why it doesn't cost a minimum $650 (EcuTek license). Also, using TechTom allows people to still use EcuFlash on their ECU.

Btw, $200+$350 just to run an SAFC has to be one of the worst possible ways to spend your money. If for some reason you decide to get an SAFC at some point, the SAFC should cost no more than $100-150, and the harness should only be $100. The package should be $200-250 used. Are they charging $200 for the IX harness, because it's so new? The VIII harness didn't cost that much...

In the end, with the flash that will cost you WAY LESS than an SAFC, you will get this that you DON'T get with the SAFC:

- Ignition timing control
- MIVEC control
- Idle control
- Launch control
- Rev limit change
- Fuel cut removal

With EcuFlash, you can change your launch control and rev limits at will without needing a tuner or any expertise...just use the tutorials from here on EvoM.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

- MIVEC control
- Idle control
- Launch control
- Rev limit change
- Fuel cut removal

Just curious.... how important are those features to have with just having a TBE, MBC and drop in filter if one doesn't launch over a SAFC custom tune? I don't mind getting a reflash but don't think anyone in my area does them. I wanna avoid mailin flash but would do it as my last resort.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The SAFC is no comparison to a flash, and I'm not just talking about Dynoflash. Of course, I would love you to get a Dynoflash, but that's not my main concern. My main concern is that you don't get brainwashed by the deep-rooted SOCALEVO hatred for flashes. I don't know why they still continue to proliferate that hatred, but the SAFC is completely obsolete now that we have EcuFlash. You can get your cable FROM AL, pay for the $50 e-flash, then tune yourself to your heart's content. If you don't want to tune yourself, then leave it as is. It will be safe, it will make power, and you will have the option of flashing other maps whenever you want (stock, valet, race gas, etc) if you create them or request them.

No, bigric, Al does not use EcuTek on Evos unless specifically requested. He uses Techtom, which is why it doesn't cost a minimum $650 (EcuTek license). Also, using TechTom allows people to still use EcuFlash on their ECU.

Btw, $200+$350 just to run an SAFC has to be one of the worst possible ways to spend your money. If for some reason you decide to get an SAFC at some point, the SAFC should cost no more than $100-150, and the harness should only be $100. The package should be $200-250 used. Are they charging $200 for the IX harness, because it's so new? The VIII harness didn't cost that much...

In the end, with the flash that will cost you WAY LESS than an SAFC, you will get this that you DON'T get with the SAFC:

- MIVEC control
- Idle control
- Launch control
- Rev limit change
- Fuel cut removal

With EcuFlash, you can change your launch control and rev limits at will without needing a tuner or any expertise...just use the tutorials from here on EvoM.
cough cough "BS"
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

No reason to avoid mail-in flashes. Hard to beat those gains for only $199 (or $140 for Ecuflash+cable). It's still going to be better than an SAFC. However, I don't know...you tel me if those things are important. The first one is _EXTREMELY_ important, because that's where a lot of the power comes from. Having DIRECT control over timing is critical, and the SAFC doesn't offer that. The next most important is the MIVEC. Do you want to utilize your MIVEC and get the most out of it, or just not touch it at all? An SAFC can't begin to manipulate the MIVEC, but a flash certainly will make use of it through tweaking. The rest are just features that you may or may not care about. Most people hate fuel cut, since it will kick in with slight raising of boost, especially on cool nights. If you don't launch, then you don't care about launch control, and if you don't race, I guess you don't care about the rev limiter.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
cough cough "BS"
??? Why did you make this post, vboy? Do you disagree that the SAFC for $550 is worth it vs a flash on a IX?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

- MIVEC control
- Idle control
- Launch control
- Rev limit change
- Fuel cut removal

Actually we just dont like dynoflash (sorry al). If you want a local flash Works will be at MOD, there is Harman Motive in Torrance, Tuning Technologies etc.. It's also a matter of how much you want to spend. If you keep it local you can take it back to the shop if you have any issues. I'm not saying Dynoflash is bad, there are a lot of positive reviews out there but he isn't local and if I have a problem I want it takend care of ASAP rather than mailing it around. Right now I have the same mods that you have SAFC NEO. I'm going to get it tuned by tuning tech with their flash that removes the restrictions. Also consider the kind of gas you wanna run since we are on crap gas too. Either way good luck
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

One more thing I forgot to mention you may want to look into the The HKS F Con, Greddy E manage ultimate as well
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sell that NEO and just get a full custom tune from TT. It will be far better...

F Con and E-manage? Whoa, no way...don't recommend those to him, please. That is definitely not the route you want to go with your IX.

Quick Reply: Flash? SAFC? I can’t decide. Yes I’ve searched, this is a intelligent question.