Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB is making Access Port for Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXEM
The Cobb AP will be plug and play.. Its simple.... Take it ouf of box... Load downloaded map from cobbs site... flash it via the OBDII ... Teh end
sounds perfect for me
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the cobb software is great, and has nice tutorials for beginners etc... streettuner is pretty nice too...

the 3d displays are nice, but im sure that can easily be added to ecuflash

cb
Old Aug 9, 2006, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me get this straight you download the map and upload it, but you must have one of them tune it? Or can you choose who your tuner is gonna be?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mchuang
So let me get this straight you download the map and upload it, but you must have one of them tune it? Or can you choose who your tuner is gonna be?
Before you get yourself even more confused:

Accessport

Street tuner for the Accessport

After reading all that, it shouldn't be too difficult to see why the accessport is the best way to go.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

that is sick, Good news to the evo world
Old Aug 9, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggie
Before you get yourself even more confused:

Accessport

Street tuner for the Accessport

After reading all that, it shouldn't be too difficult to see why the accessport is the best way to go.

For the price of the two together your close to the price of a used AEM...Ecuflash has had a few upgrades already and i am sure it wont be long before the do things with more visual graphics. There is no way to really justify almost $900 for what you can do for less than $120 with ecuflash...You still have to buy maps with the accessport which makes it even more, and the street tuner option is $180 more expensive than the ecuflash and ecuscan price together...Im glad i went with ecuflash/ecuscan setup.....
Old Aug 9, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I couldn't justify the cost of an AP versus the ECUflash/tactrix combo.

l8r)
Old Aug 9, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lvNVevo
For the price of the two together your close to the price of a used AEM...
Other than drastic changes to the sensors(changing from MAF to MAP), what capabilities does an AEM have that an Accessport with Street tuner doesn't?

Also... Where does it say you have to "buy" maps? They are available free on the Cobb website.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggie
Other than drastic changes to the sensors(changing from MAF to MAP), what capabilities does an AEM have that an Accessport with Street tuner doesn't?

Also... Where does it say you have to "buy" maps? They are available free on the Cobb website.
Sorry take back the "buy maps" statement

AEM

extra injector controller
Nitrous controller
egt inputs with fuel controller
Wideband data logging
16 outputs
100% full engine management not just flashing

Why would you want to purchase maps for a company who's experience with the evolution is limited??? People like AL have proven them selves with their abilty to flash our ecu...i havent heard or seen one post of someone with cobb reflash..Yes they are awesome with suby and i had an accessport on my wrx. but i would rather get maps from someone that has proven ability with our car. (i.e. self tune or dynoflash e-flash)
Old Aug 9, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

For the price of the two together your close to the price of a used AEM...Ecuflash has had a few upgrades already and i am sure it wont be long before the do things with more visual graphics. There is no way to really justify almost $900 for what you can do for less than $120 with ecuflash...You still have to buy maps with the accessport which makes it even more, and the street tuner option is $180 more expensive than the ecuflash and ecuscan price together...Im glad i went with ecuflash/ecuscan setup.....
Well pricing isn't even released yet so I am not sure where you base your numbers from.

The street tuner software is 195 for the subaru.

Cable 80

so 195-89=106 difference from street tuner software to tactrix cable

and AP 595(estimate off wrx ports) + 195 = $790 for accessport and street tuner combo

If you know how to tune and do not care about trial and error and not a ton of visual help just as graphs, great logging, and a cool help section and just want something cheap ecuflash is probably where it is at for you,

If you want a good base map, being able to switch maps with a simple hand held device as well as obdII code reading get the accessport

if you want to tune your accessport with a sweet program get the street tuner.

Ecuflash is good for some

AP is good for some

AEM is good for some

It just depends on what you are looking for out of engine managment
Old Aug 9, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Why would you want to purchase maps for a company who's experience with the evolution is limited??? People like AL have proven them selves with their abilty to flash our ecu...i havent heard or seen one post of someone with cobb reflash..Yes they are awesome with suby and i had an accessport on my wrx. but i would rather get maps from someone that has proven ability with our car. (i.e. self tune or dynoflash e-flash)
Tuning a evo isn't really different then tuning any car. Cobb has thier own Evo and have tuned many evos on AEM and UTECs and made great power.

Just because they are a suby company doesn't mean thier tuner only tunes subarus.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:59 PM

Sorry take back the "buy maps" statement

AEM

extra injector controller
Nitrous controller
egt inputs with fuel controller
Wideband data logging
16 outputs
100% full engine management not just flashing

Unless you need the extra injector or nitrous controller for a drag car, why loose all of the safety features of a stock ECU for daily or even weekend driving? The stock ECU also has great control for changing climates and ambient pressure (altitude and/or storms).

What do you think the AP is? The AP is a device used to flash an ECU. Of course no one is going to post they have an AP or a bench flash from Cobb, only the employees have their Evos currently tuned. BTW, Evos are pretty easy to tune. There isn't much magic to them.

Don't think of Cobb as a 100% Tuner, think of Cobb as a solution provider. For instance, Al is a Subaru ProTuner. AFAIK he planning to be a Evo ProTuner when it is released. You'll have Al's Evo magic with Cobb's tools. Can't argue with that, right?

Cobb's StreetTuner has support for logging several widebands. Not only that but there are the PLX devices which output EGT, knock, etc. All of which the StreetTuner can log.

The Evo AP will have built in logging including parameters that no other products currently on the market can log. Such as load, which allows you to know where you are in the tables. There will also be the ability to tune boost based on WGDC and targets. MBCs are inadiquit when compared to the stock boost control when properly used.

What do you think a flash is, a 24.65% engine management solution? A flash modifies the data the ECU directly looks up, allowing safety and power. A flash also controls the engine 100% of the time

I'm not trying to dig on you, just educate.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

We work with the Accesport for the Subies all the time they are great little items and we highly reccomend them to Subie owners who are stepping into the modified category. At MOD we spoke with Cobb about the AP for the evos and as far as we know they should do just as well. As soon as we get the evo AP in im sure we will guinea pig my car and throw up some info...oh yea Cobb told us it should out late this year early next year but no definitive time frame.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:29 AM

Little bit of official info.

Linky
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Parker-gc8
Little bit of official info.

Linky
Awesome news!

Quick Reply: COBB is making Access Port for Evo