Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB is making Access Port for Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ap

nice, hopefully next month
Old Sep 9, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not really understanding why anyone would buy this AP stuff anymore. It was neat before ECUflash came out, but now it just doesn't make financial sense.

My buddy has a Saabaru (Saab 9-3x.. WRX) and just sold his AP to switch to ECUflash + Tactrix cable. Same thing... far less money.. more freedom to the customer.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

I can list some reasons

1. More support. Coming from a bigger company upgrades and help are more available because they have more staff.

2. No need for a laptop to switch maps.

3. you can read trouble codes with it(saves you $100 code reader if you ever need it)

4. The tuning program will be easier to use and have graphing.

5. LIVE TUNING(if it is available for the evo) This is most important to me.

6. Base maps included for the average consumer at no additional cost.

7. Better logging.

This is just off the top of my head. Alot of my observations are going from the Subaru street tuner but I would imagine that they would be similar.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

looking forward to it...
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info, bbbwrx. I guess you could say it this way: AP provides all the features NOW that the ECUFlash/EVOScan setup promises to have 'hopefully someday'.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This looks very promising, I'm looking forward to more information being released.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbbwrx
I can list some reasons

1. More support. Coming from a bigger company upgrades and help are more available because they have more staff.

2. No need for a laptop to switch maps.

3. you can read trouble codes with it(saves you $100 code reader if you ever need it)

4. The tuning program will be easier to use and have graphing.

5. LIVE TUNING(if it is available for the evo) This is most important to me.

6. Base maps included for the average consumer at no additional cost.

7. Better logging.

This is just off the top of my head. Alot of my observations are going from the Subaru street tuner but I would imagine that they would be similar.
8. Live boost read feature - I don't plan to change my MR boost gauge, so the ability to read precise (+/- .1 psi) boost from the AP is a plus...

Having used the AP with my WRX for a year or so, I'm a believer. They do run "conservative" maps for their Stg 1, 2, 2.5, etc., but you'd really not want it any other way, imo. (You can always add pro-tuner and customize) As far as not accomodating MBC, I'm definitely in the category of those who think that's a good idea - I like working within the basic design of the stock engine (for warranty purposes.) There will be some issues about warranty and we'll have to "wait and see" about those, such as the way AP over-writes the ECU code with its own - these issues have been discussed on NASIOC and a stickler at a dealership could probably void warranty if they knew how to read certain tell-tale code AP leaves behind, at least in some cases. Still, I'm pretty positive about getting one and running Stg 1 for awhile, then adding DP and going Stg. 2. Should be fun...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:40 AM
Account Disabled

I was in the process of doing an ECUTEK reflash, but after seeing this. I'm willing to wait it out till this is released. The Protune looks very interesting as well.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I talked to Cobb direct and they said they are going to release the acess port and the air filter for the evo at or right after SEMA in Nov.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JohnEB
I talked to Cobb direct and they said they are going to release the acess port and the air filter for the evo at or right after SEMA in Nov.

Is it November yet??????????

Being a former WRX AP user i'm excited COBB is making one for the EVO and already have the money set aside and will be running to the first shop to have them in stock.

Jason
Old Sep 22, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

What's frustrating to me is that people continue to say EcuFlash is "cheaper"....when in reality its closer to the same price for those that don't own a laptop. I have a nice desktop...i have no use for a laptop and purchasing one would just serve for this purpose.

Another point...AP has a rev limiting valet map in which you can flash in seconds, and not worry about your laptop being inside your car at all times.

So far I'm still on the AP side of the fence.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

I have a nice sony vaio desktop myself. I'll probably buy a powerconverter and throw my desktop in the evo for the ecuflash. JK LOL... Ok enough with the jokes. I dont own a laptop. If my computer is in my garage where i park my evo, can the ecuflash with tactrix be used then? How long is the cable? I already have a dynoflash on my ecu but i would like to have another flash on race gas for dragracing.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbdude
I have a nice sony vaio desktop myself. I'll probably buy a powerconverter and throw my desktop in the evo for the ecuflash. JK LOL... Ok enough with the jokes. I dont own a laptop. If my computer is in my garage where i park my evo, can the ecuflash with tactrix be used then? How long is the cable? I already have a dynoflash on my ecu but i would like to have another flash on race gas for dragracing.
If you plan on tuning the car that will not work

The cable is only 3 feet long if that.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:25 AM

You could use an USB extension cable.

Quick Reply: COBB is making Access Port for Evo